Graphics competition looking grim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics competition looking grim?

I was reading the weekly mobo and vid card price guide over @ Anand it really show Nvidia getting their asses handed to them by ATI. Now, I am glad to see ATI take a front seat to Nvidia for a change but not at the price of losing competition.
    Now, I realize Nvidia isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but man, they are taking a pounding. Here is a quote from Anand's price guide:

"We waited. We waited some more. Another 8 months went by and we were still waiting. Well, we are still technically waiting. NewEgg and ENPC are now taking pre-orders for GeForceFX 5800 cards. As rumor would hold true, it does appear as if the 5800 Ultra has been canceled, but those who already pre-ordered a card will still receive one.

More problems seem to have plagued the card as ridicule and speculation has forced NVIDIA to recall the current 5800 cards from production in order to redesign the fan and packaging on the card. Most sources speculate we will see the card finally available for retail on March 31/April 1st. Hopefully, that is not some kind of cruel April Fool's joke. GeForceFX's strange journey seems almost freakishly akin to the rise and fall of the Voodoo4/5 series video cards.

Also absent are the Ti4600 cards from this week's guide. Unfortunately, it seems like manufacturers are trying their best to dump inventory of these old cards. The cards that were not relabled as Ti4800's or Ti4600-8X have simply been dumped due to lack of demand. What further complicates matters is that NV31 appears to be the inevitable replacement for the Ti4600 and thus directly compete with RV350. NVIDIA also seems to be largely ignoring GeForceFX 5800 NV30 in favor of developing NV35 to directly compete with R350. Yes, NVIDIA's marketing confuses us too.

Furthermore, controversy has spun its web around the upcoming GeForceFX NV30 chip as the "4x2" architecture issues continue to surface. For those of you who are not familiar, apparently many sources are claiming that the NV30 chipset contains only 4 rendering pipelines as opposed to the 8 that NVIDIA unveiled at COMDEX. The catch is that each pipeline contains 2 TMUs which should result in the the promised 8 textures per clock, but only when multitexturing.

On an unrelated note longtime NVIDIA partner VisionTek continues their anti-NVIDIA campaign while still lacking any production products. Perhaps Hartford is relying on VisionTek's "good name" in order to build a stronger base of operations before actually releasing cards to the public.

Maybe RV350 vs NV31 will be more interesting than extra delayed R300 and NV30 matchup. Hopefully we do not have to wait another 9 months to see any NVIDIA developments. Meh."
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Oh, man.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd party step in hear and steal some of the limelight. There are a lot of good candidates for a mid to mid/high ranged performance card.

Comment

nVidia to me is now synonymous with the word confusing.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

As long as Nvidea don't panic they still got a large market share that ATI hadn't dinted according one article I read around the new year.
        They just need to keep devoloping remember ATI were out in the wilderness for a long time. Just need Matrox to come out with something that say matches the 9700 (Okay dream on) and you got some more comp.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

There are a lot of old players that have stepped up recently, like Trident and S3, with new Direct X 9 cores. Competition will always be there, maybe just not at the higher-end level that people would hope.

It would be interesting in Matrox could fix the Parhelia (fire Dan Woods) so they could clock it higher (fire Dan Woods), add full DX9 support (fire Dan Woods), put it on smaller silicon so they can get better yeilds and prices (fire Dan Woods) and make a card at least competative at teh $200, 128 MB video card level (fire Dan Woods).

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

seems like someone doesnt like Dan Woods

I guess thats what they get for hiring all those former 3dfx employers, they could have guessed what would happen

I just wonder why they even released the FX, they must have know that it wouldnt be living up to the expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              There are a lot of old players that have stepped up recently, like Trident and S3, with new Direct X 9 cores. Competition will always be there, maybe just not at the higher-end level that people would hope.

It would be interesting in Matrox could fix the Parhelia (fire Dan Woods) so they could clock it higher (fire Dan Woods), add full DX9 support (fire Dan Woods), put it on smaller silicon so they can get better yeilds and prices (fire Dan Woods) and make a card at least competative at teh $200, 128 MB video card level (fire Dan Woods).

Jammrock
              I agree with you there.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

And then there is XabreII as well...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I wonder if the 3DFX engineers secretely sabotaged the GFFX to take revenge
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

...or the 3dfx that was integrated by NVidia was the wrong part...

At least NVidia is doing quite well with NForce now...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

@Jammrock: hmm... Trident XP4... I smell vapourware

Speaking of Trident... are their 2D pure crap?

@Topha: I think the reason they release the FX is because nVIDIA get some Parhelia enginners on their hand a revenge from former Matrox employees for staring the 3dmark competition

The NV30 is the by far the biggest failure the made IMO. Maybe they will become another Matrox

Damn I wanna see a Matrox DX9 part w/triple head.

IMO of all the competitions Matrox Graphics look the worse.

edit: sorry Matrox engineers. No offend intended. It's just that you guys don't have the right directions from the management AFAIK and lack of resources.

Comment

"The NV30 is the by far the biggest failure the made IMO. Maybe they will become another Matrox"

It seems like the NV30 has/will do a lot worse than the P, considering its not even truly out on the market yet, and already everybody seems to hate it. So I wouldn't say they are becoming another Matrox, I would say they are becoming something worse, another 3dfx (they already partly are). Now the question is, who is going to make the mistake of buying out nvidia?
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I dont think nvidia will go down because of this. They still got their nforce market, and as far as i know they still make most of their money with tnt2 cards, believe it or not. If their next card is up to par with what ATI can offer than, this will be nothing more than a short inconvenience for them.

And of course their image will take a big blow, but hey, thats what we've all been waiting for

Comment

Yes, but ATI has a great chance to ride on this image boost. 3 years from now maybe we'll see ATI making most of their money on 9500 boards...

Comment

...can't... wait for 3 years... a 9500 under 10 bucks.

About who will buy the FX:

1) nVIDIOTS
                              2) Kiddies
                              3) Boeing

Comment

Working...
                              X