Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question should men be forced to wear suit and tie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question should men be forced to wear suit and tie.

I think basically commen sense should prevail. If it's hot a sweaty sales rep doesn't give very good impression and therefore should be able to cut back.
    I can remember seeing a service engineer getting nice and dirty in a suit becuase it was company policy. It just looked stupid.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I think good sense should prevail. This is often impossible when all decisions come down from on high within some huge corporate structure, however. It doesn't even take a huge corporate structure when the top guys are isolated from the reality of day to day operations and have no common sense.

Comment

Exactly.
      I work at a small private school, and my senile boss forces me to wear a tie every day.
      This would be fine is I was in the classroom all day...but I only have 2 classes to teach, and the remainder of the day, I do whatever is needed around the place...which often includes repairing the schools vans, building maintenence, etc.
      You think the kids care if I'm wearing a tie?
      He's a classic case of too many dollars, not enough sense...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Re: Question should men be forced to wear suit and tie.

Originally posted by The PIT
        I think basically commen sense should prevail. If it's hot a sweaty sales rep doesn't give very good impression and therefore should be able to cut back.
        I can remember seeing a service engineer getting nice and dirty in a suit becuase it was company policy. It just looked stupid.
        I had a chance to intern with Edward Jones (the financial company). They wanted a suit and tie every day, even though I'd be somewhere that customers wouldn't see me, and I'd be writing their backend tools. I definitely took other jobs. The EJ job had nice pay, but not when you factor in all the lost $$$ on clothes, dry cleaning, and time to get dressed in the morning.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I work at a large corporate head office. They all wear ties. I don't.

It's all the rebellion I can muster being a financial analyst...
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I hate tie's. I had to wear one for a year while I was a PC tech. God it was horrible. And they told me to cut my hair off but I just tucked it in the back of my shirt. No way in hell I would cut it off for any job.
            Fast forward, my current job is so cool. they have a dress code but it's not enforced. Basically, they allow people to use there own judgement. If I think i amgoing to be meeting face-to-face with a customer, I will put on something less casual.

Interesting sotry, when I first started here, we had a meeting with IBM. As some of you may know, IBM is known for their business attire wherever they go. this day they happened to be wearing jeans and short sleeved collared shirts to our amazement. Somebody in my group asked why that was. The response was, "because we know your company dresses casual, so we try to cater to the attire when going to other companies". I thought that was pretty cool of them.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Would you shave your head for a movie role that paid $5 million?

Comment

I used to refuse to cut off my hair for work, rewind 6 years ago, cut my hair off - two days later, promotion with nice big pay increase.

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well there are limits. My last job had the description of "programmer". Well, I was also the network engineer, PC repair tech, etc.

Most days, a shirt and tie was no big deal. But when they had me climbing like a monkey in the warehouse pulling down nasty dusty slimy boxes of PC parts from 10 years ago...

Suffice it to say THAT shirt and tie were just thrown away.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  If only life were as easy as you
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Working at a bank, I wear suit and tie *most* of the time. Sometimes I remember the days when I was younger and said that I would never do that, mostly when I am very tired and simply cannot bring myself to dress up, so I go casual.

We have "casual fridays" here, but the dress code explicitly forbids jeans to be worn. Aside from suits, I don't have anything than jeans though, so I'll endure the odd remarks from our COO.

Women do have a lot more leeway (sp?) here. Luckily, it is not a _real_ problem over here.
                    Umf
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

We've got no dress code but our receptionist has. No low tops but she leaves her top unbuttoned so I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I think, weather permitting, men should be required to wear nothing more than shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Suits suck.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I once had a job, where regardless of how unbearably hot it got you had to wear a white shirt and a tie sinched up so tight you about went red in the face...I have to say after that experience, I'm with Jammrock all the way.

~Sethos
                          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

On the flip side, I'm ment to wear a shirt and tie, while doing handy crafts (cutting, painting etc) with 3 year olds.

Who can tell me those kids care if i'm wearing a tie or not - except as an extra thing they can try to destroy with the scissors

Dan
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I work in a call center. They expect us to be "business casual" so that's how I dress.

The only one here who wear suits are those right above the agents which comprises no more than about a dozen people.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X