• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Mordrid and Other sound card knowledgeables

I put together a system for a client:

Asus P2B-DS
    P3 550 512K
    256MB Crucial PC-100
    Segate Barracuda 18XL (2x18G for work space, 1x9G for OS/Prog)
    ATI Xpert 2000
    SBLIVE! Value
    Win2K Pro
    Canopus DVRaptor
    EditDV 2.0
    Quicktime 4.0

They use a Canon XL-1 DV camera.

Problem, EditDV can capture, edit, etc. but audio in the captured tracks shows garbling upon playback from within EditDV. It does not, interestingly enough, experience this when I play the captured AVI through MS Media Player! This seems to indicate that there is no problem with the Origin Software Codec, rather some interplay between the sound hardware and the playback software, however i'm not sure.

Anyways, I'm going to try a few things to fix the problem. The client has ordered EditDV 2.0.1, which claims to have the proper Win2K installer, I'm going to have them download Quicktime 4.1.3 or whatever the latest version is, and perhaps a few other things.

After that, I'm just going to pull the SBLive and try a different PCI Sound Card. It is upon this subject I would most appreciate your input. The issues are this: I would like for them to have a full feature set. They may wish to do some MIDI music and such. This doesn't seem to be a problem, as most cards have supported this for a long time. The card MUST support 48KHz sampling, as that is what the Canon XL-1 captures at when doing single track. It seems as though ISA Creative Labs cards don't do this, and therefore I would assume I need a PCI card. I only paid about $40 for the Live card, and would like to stay within this budget, so I can just do a strait swap. Finally, there must be Win2K drivers.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

P.S. I have another reason to pull the live, as it seems they have problems currently running SMP under Win2K. Hopefully this will be fixed in future drivers, but if the client decides to add a second proc, it would be best to have a card that will play nice.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

P.P.S.
      I wanted matrox hardware
      but, they used DV (which I am convinced is the only way to go if you are starting a new setup). So, the canopus card seemed the best choice given their limited budget (<4000 for a complete setup, Box, Moni, Cap card, Software, OS!). I may upgrade them to a G400 or G450 in the future if they decide to go Dual Monitor, but for the time being there were hints at compatibility issues with some of the stuff in their box, which may not be true.

Anyways, for what it is worth, I use Matrox in my home system.

------------------
      Home System:
      G400 DH 32MB, RR-G, Win98SE, PIII 550E @733, Asus P3B-F, 128MB Crucial PC133, CTX VL710, SBLive Value, lw 3.0 Promise Fasttrak66 Conversion w/2xWD136BA 7200 2MB, Adaptec AHA-29160, IBM 18ES 9.1GB Ultra SCSI, Plextor 40Max, Yamaha 8424 SCSI

Comment

Can you please better describe the garbling?

I had hell's own problems with the combination of Asus P2B and video, with all sound cards, including SB16 and SB Live!, over a period of about 8 months. Changing the m/b to another make cured them all instantaneously. That having been said, others have not had this experience. I have now totally abandoned Asus at home and at work (I have one left on a Linux office app).

------------------
        Brian (the terrible)
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

well, it sounds like a crackle superimposed on the audio. You can still make out the audio track, but it sounds all mutiliated.

Comment

You may just be running out of processor power with the P3 550 and the particular software codec. What does your performance monitor indicate about processor utilisation when uisng EditDV?

M.
            year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Sounds like the software that you are playing it through has a volume config somewhere in it that sets the soundcard's levels when you open it. Try opening it and running a video clip in media player at the same time to see if its being there effects media player's audio. If it is now distorted, then look around in the manuals and options/preferences menus for a way to attenuate the sound output. It's evidentally not effecting the record level, as it is not distorted when you play it back exclusively through media player. Keep the Soundblaster Live! though. Just load the updated drivers for it and not the Liveware stuff. Too many mixers and volume attenuation can make you pull out your hair.

------------------
              Deep is not the root word of depression.

Comment

Oh and I know that this is gonna sound like poop but one of the best soundcards I've ever heard was a PCI Ensoniq 32. The signal-to-noise ratio on this card beats almost every other card out there. If you have a good monitor speaker setup, you could very well blow your speakers in the event that someone has been screwing with their volumes because you can't really hear any hiss.

Creative took over their manufacture so they're now known as the Creative Ensoniq 32 PCI or some such rubbish. They're extremely cheap, so pick up one and give it a trial run.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X