Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network cabling...

Hello,
    My parents appear to have a problem with cabling in their house: it appears to be impossible to add an ethernet-cable (we thought about putting it along with the telephone) as the tubes are too narrow.
    The electrician suggested to put an Cat5 UTP cable instead of the telephone cable (which is feasible), and use a couple of the wires for telephone, and 4 for the network. Judging by the number of wires inside the UTP cable, this ought to be possible, but how is the interference when doing this ?
    If not, are there other suggestions of putting a network (shielded FTP next to 220V cable) ? Or will I have to resort to a wireless one ?

Thanks!
    Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

it is _possible_ but I wouldn't recommend it, even speeds of 10mbit can't be relied upon.

Wireless has it's own headaches
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Are you talking about the phone/network ? Yes, I thought so too (thanks for confirming)... and allthough wireless has its own headaches, I don't really see other solutions (I was hoping for some additional suggestions ).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

If the wiring is done well, it's very possible, and works quite well. My brother asked to have his house done with cat5 instead of telephone cable (actually he asked to have the cat5 as well as the telphone cable, but they chose instead).

He's running one ethernet (two pairs) and two telephone lines (one pair each) through each cable, and he has absolutely no problems running at 100Mb. Just make sure the connections are done well, and you should be fine.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

100Mb with 2 pairs?? How is that? I thought 10Mb max on 2 pair. Man when I lay cable in my next house its going to be 3 Cat5e cables to EVERY room. There is no media you can't distribute on Cat5e, you just can't have enough of the stuff.
          Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Not CAT6?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Actually it may end up being CAT7 by the time I build.
              Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Just curious: what are the additional advantages of Cat6 or 7 ? Gigabit over copper is feasible with Cat5e, proper shielding can be done with foiled UTP. So what are the benefits ?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Actually, there are several cabling schemes for 100Base-T.

100Base-TX only uses two of the four twisted paris of a Category 5 cable. Pair 2 (Blue & Blue/White) and Pair 3 (Green & Green/White). The other two pairs aren't used. With proper twisting the crosstalk shouldn't be a problem. If the cable is being run in walls make sure it meets fire codes.

100Base-T4 uses all four pairs of Category 3, 4 or 5 cable. Does not support full-duplex operation.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                    Just curious: what are the additional advantages of Cat6 or 7 ? Gigabit over copper is feasible with Cat5e, proper shielding can be done with foiled UTP. So what are the benefits ?

Jörg
                    Yes, this is true. Right now there is nothing that requires Cat-6 cables. As you say, Gigabit works with Cat-5e cables and uses all four pairs. As far as I know all10 Gigabit specifications require fiber.

However, Category 6 (ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1) cables does provide higher performance than Cat-5e and features more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise.

So you'll have more margin of error for installation practices and other contingencies that if you use Cat-5e.

You are also future proofing your installation. I doubt you'll have to replace your Cat-6 cable anytime soon. Most cabling and stuff deployed in walls is usually expected to last at least 10 years.

Don't forget that Cat-6 components are backward compatible with Cat-5e, 5 and Cat-3.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtFarmer
                      100Mb with 2 pairs?? How is that? I thought 10Mb max on 2 pair.
                      Two pairs are used for 10Mbit and the other two are used for 100Mbit in a four pair cable. If you only use two pairs you will only be able to connect on 10Mbit or 100Mbit depending on how they're connected in the socket/connector.
                      My system:
                      | Athlon XP2600+ 2,4GHz@200FSB| Water Cooled Processor | Samsung 2x256MB PC3200 Ram (400MHz) | Epox 8RDA mb | Hercules FDX Radeon 8500 LE 128MB | Abit Hot Rod DMA/100 RAID controller | 2*20GB IBM and Western 10.2GB @RAID controller | Soundblaster 5.1 Audigy Player | Actima 6x/32x DVD-ROM, Samsung 12x/8x/32x CDRW | Logitech Force Feedback wheel | Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick | 550W water-cooled Q-TEC PSU | 278/278 kbit DSL internet connection | Windows 2000 Pro | My Homepage
                      homemade watercooling in use,Pics on the homepage...

no more VIA, no more!

Comment

The price difference between CAT5e and CAT6 is negligible.

If it's to be built into the house, you should go for the best cables available as they're bound to stay where they are for many years.

Comment

Working...
                        X