No announcement yet.

Is the Parhelia the right card for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Parhelia the right card for me?

I currently have a G400DH 32MB, which suits my needs nicely, i.e. having two high quality 1280 desktops for graphics editing and programming.

I'm planning to build a new system though, and since I was having a bit of trouble with the G400 (see the Problems with Overlay Resolution thread) I'm thinking about replacing it.

Now my main requirements are:
    - at least two 1280 desktops with a high display and signal quality
    - moderate 3D performance - I don't play 3D games a lot, but it would be nice to have some performance under the hood every now and then
    - I really need good overlay capabilities, and that at the resolutions I'll be using - I want to watch TV and streaming video, and especially for DV video editing. It won't be good if I have to turn down the resolution like with the G400 (that seems to be the problem there).

Is the Parhelia good for that? Or are there other cards which are better suited to these needs? Does anybody have any good or bad experiences or recommendations?

Thanks
    Calle

Hi Calle,

the G400 supports overlay upto 1024x768 on the 1st head where as P supports it upto 1600x1200 on 2 outputs since it can do 2 overlay surfaces.

For video editing, our new drivers will allow you to connnect 2 crt's and a TV to P so that you can use DH for editing and output the preview window to the tv via dvdmax.

Check here for a list of editing apps that we support for outputting the preview window:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/video/home.cfm

Note that when you use all 3 outputs, your max desktop res is 1280x1024 on all 3 outputs and when using this video feature, you will get overlay on 1 desktop becuase we need to reserve our 2nd overlay surface for the dvdmax output.

Comment

That sounds pretty good. Thank you for the info!

Comment

Though one question remains: Are there any definite setups/scenarios where the banding issue will or will NOT show up? Distortions like that would be a showstopper for me.

Thanks
        Calle

Comment

Yes, if you use flatpanel displays connected through DVI, you will not experience any banding.

Comment

but then you're limited to only 2 screens.

Comment

I've only ever seen the banding with games, and even then it's only under high brightness conditions.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Hi, I was about to post thread about same subject, so some of my questions are already answered. I still wonder if i stick with 2 monitors with 1280x960 resolution, will update from my G400DHMAX to Parhelia make any sense I do mainly some CAD work and programming.
                dedicated server obtained, users close to Finland welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Haig
                  the G400 supports overlay upto 1024x768 on the 1st head...
                  Um, I'm running my G400Max at 1600x1200 (one head only) in Linux, and overlay works great, even at full screen. What gives?
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Some people can get it that high while others can't. Either case, we only QA, support, and address issues that aren't above 1024x768.

Comment

Ah. This would probably explain the overlay issues I was having when I connected the second head. Thanks.
                      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

OK, so the second head might also be an issue here. That's unfortunate, because I can't seriously work at anything below 1280. I'll have to get along on not-so-good overlay until I buy a new card, which will be in a few weeks, probably. I hope there's some kind of solution to the Parhelia problems until then.

Comment

overlay at 1600x1200: no worky worky here
                          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

the G400 max used VMR9

Keep the desktop resolution to 1024x768 w/16bit colors ?

Comment

Working...
                            X