Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird convicts killer....

Washington Times:

DALLAS — A white cockatoo, fighting unsuccessfully to save his owner from a fatal attack, was credited with sending a Texas defendant to prison for life this week.

Prosecutors said blood that "Bird," an 18-inch white-crested cockatoo, drew from one of the attackers provided a DNA link to the victim's neighbor, Daniel Torres. In less than 25 minutes Tuesday, a jury found Torres guilty of killing Kevin Butler and gave him a life sentence.

"This bird spoke, he spoke to us," lead prosecutor George West told the jury. He said Torres had wiped blood from his head and left it on a light switch, from which the DNA match was gleaned.

Mr. Butler had a houseful of stray pets, including Bird, when he was attacked in his apartment by two knife-wielding men on Christmas Eve 2001.

Bird went wild as he saw his owner beaten and slashed with knives, pecking one of the attackers mercilessly before the cockatoo was stabbed and killed, prosecutors said.

Torres' half-brother will be charged in a separate trial this spring.

"All of his animals were strays. He treated his pets with love, and in doing so, his pets loved him back, and that was certainly the case here," said Mr. Butler's sister, Kathy.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Who's the bird brain now?
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

That is great!

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

On the other hand I'm sure it doesn't make much difference to the bird right now...

Comment

Birds can be pretty selective about people.

When I was a kid I had a parakeet named Goldie (nope....she was green ) that for some unknown reason totally hated one of my uncles.

Every time he came into the house she'd somehow get out, land on his big bald noggin and lay a great big dump right in the middle

Once done she'd light on a curtain rod and act like the cat that got the canary.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 February 2003, 13:30.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

wow... that's a pretty "touching" (feels weird when i said that ) story... impressive

Comment

Working...
            X