Graphic card recommendation -- 2D IQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic card recommendation -- 2D IQ

A friend wants to upgrade his graphics card (S3 ProSavage8) to improve the 2D image quality on his CRT. The main priorities are superior image quality (though it doesn't have to be the absolute best) and minimal cost. 3D performance isn't an issue nor is DH support. He would prefer to purchase an unused card. System vitals are as follows:

eMachine T2200
    MB; Elitegroup KM2668235
    CPU; AMD 2200+
    Chipset; VIA KT266A
    CRT; Viewsonic G810 @1600x1200x32
    OS; XP

He almost grabbed a new G550 off E-Bay for $70 last night but was outbid in the last seconds. Can he expect any problems with the G550 on this system?

I expect the ATI 8500 or 7500 would be a fine choice as well but I don't recall if ATI had VIA KT266A issues. I believe he should look for a Sapphire or BBA card in that case.

His desire for an unused card will make it harder to find an out of production card but they do pop up on EBay occasionally. What are the recommendation from the 2D aficionados?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

WOAH... S3 ProServage? I am pretty sure his 2D quality will be boosted with any card

The 8500s do not have very good 2D... 7x00s should be better AFAIK.

If he can get his hands on a G550 then by all means get it (if it's cheap). Off course, many people here will say that G4x0s have better 2D . IMO they are so close that there's almost no difference between them (if any).

Comment

Any Gxx0 card will give him top-notch IQ over what he has now.
      Even an old G200 would be a step up.
      The main thing I would worry about is that it's an eMachine, and it's garbage PS might not handle ANY add-on card (I have had problems with numerous eMachines and power consuption issues when adding cards that are not stock, even as simple as adding an NIC)...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I only mentioned the G550 because the card is still in production and therefore easier to find as a new card. I also considered recommending the G200 but he would probably be better off with at least a 32MB card with his resolution needs. Thanks for the PS warning Kruzin. Maybe he has a spare PS he can pop in his eMachine or perhaps he can reduce his power requirements elsewhere if he has problems with adding a graphics card (the S3 ProSavage8 is integrated). I thought that some of the Millenniums didn't like the VIA KT266A chipset. If so, which ones? Do the Radeons have any compatibility problem with this system? I see a local shop has a Sapphire Radeon 7500 64MB for $66 and a Radeon 7000 32MB for $50. How does the 2D IQ on the Sapphire 7000 compare with the leaders?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hey Xortam,

I still have my G200 lying around not being used. Let me see if I can find it...ahh, here it is It served me well when half-life first came out I am using my G400 in my wife's machine. It looks really good. Anyway, if your buddy wants to save some money, I'd be willing to give the card to you to give to him. It's jsut collecting dust at this point and since you live so close...Thai food sounds really good anyway! Let me know.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thanks Dave. PM me with your E-Mail addy and/or phone # and I'll see if we can all get together for lunch. Is that a 16MB G200? I guess that would be good enough for 2D at 1600x1200x32 but he'd have to trim it down for 3D, right? I guess that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Comment

Dave's G200 is 8MB so keep any recommendations coming. Thanks.

Comment

Earlier this week I bought a Sapphire Radeon 9100 128MB. Image quality was slightly improved over my old G400MAX. The difference is visible with 1280x960@85Hz, at 1152x864 they look the same. My display is a 19" Hitachi CM776ET. The Sapphire card cost me ~100€.

Btw I get 1071 points in 3DMark03 with my Duron 1,2. Is that really higher than any Parhelia as ORB only reports a top score of 1029 for Parhelia?

Comment

8MB is (just about) enough for 1600x1200x32
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

8mb in 16x12x32 cannot have overlay though :O
                    Why does it have to be new?
                    There are many good 2nd ones... try to persuade your friend..
                    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Jussi
                      Earlier this week I bought a Sapphire Radeon 9100 128MB. Image quality was slightly improved over my old G400MAX. The difference is visible with 1280x960@85Hz, at 1152x864 they look the same. My display is a 19" Hitachi CM776ET. The Sapphire card cost me ~100€.

Btw I get 1071 points in 3DMark03 with my Duron 1,2. Is that really higher than any Parhelia as ORB only reports a top score of 1029 for Parhelia?
                      sorry kidna off topic guys, but holy #$(*( that's really high. especially when u are using a duron 1.2 probably that's better than my R8500 128MB w/my T-bird 1.4 (can't finish the test coz for some reason it keeps jumping out for no reason...

Comment

I had to adjust focus on my monitor with this new Radeon to get good image quality. What will those people do who don't have focus controls? More on iq Radeon vs. G400max: when I use resolution 1280x960@85Hz with G400max letters get fatter. 80Hz with G400MAX is as good as 85Hz with Radeon. That is a relief because I don't yet know how to get 80Hz with Radeon .

Offtopic continuing: perhaps I should've mentioned that my 9100 is oc'd to 275/250 (compare URL: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=264386). With default clocks 250/200 I get only 921. Which is exactly the reason I'm overclocking .

Comment

Working...
                        X