Changing drag behavior in WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing drag behavior in WinXP

I've done this before, but I've forgotten how. I can't find the option in TweakUI, if it's there.

If I left-click and drag files, the default action is to move them. How do I change it so that it copies the files?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I don't know if this is possible (might be) but I know that when you are drag/dropping files on the same logical drive, windows defaults to move, however if you drag/drop to a different logical drive, its default is copy.

Again, I'm not sure you can change that behaviour with TweakUI.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

You can't change that behavior.

For same-drive, it defaults to "move" unless it's a special folder or some such (there are lots of exceptions).

For different-drive, it's always "copy".

You can override and force copy by holding CTRL, or force move by holding SHIFT.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have seen it before but can't recall where I saw it either.
        I think I may have used an alternative tweak util, I think it is may be a explorer registry tweak.

Comment

Neowin.net forums is the place to check...

Comment

IIRC you could fiddle with it in earlier revs of windows. I wouldn't mess with it now... and don't think you can anymore.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, I think the default is the go.

Don't forget ctrl-alt for creating shortcuts

Comment

Working...
              X