Congestion charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congestion charges

I see that they've gone ahead in London and been declared a success. Now other towns are looking and rubbing there hands in glee of easy money.
    Even better the Peak District park is planning to do the same. One of the roads they're looking at is the A57 which is a main cross Pennine route. Again easy money.
    Of course the charges were brought in becuase traffic was moving too slowly. Since the roads are emptier traffic will be moving too quickly so they'll have to put in speed humps to slow it back down again.
    The improvements in public transport are of course nowhere to be seen but who cares it's easy money.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Still, in London I am quite happy with it. I don't have a car so it makes crossing the road easier...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Just think if you have a low paid job though and have to Travel in and out. Red Kens answer was tough to this point. Seems like he's forgotten he used to a be commie for the lower class.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Just another way to milk us !!

Wait till the pay claims go in !!

£25 per week pay rises needed.... Oh dear...

Here comes inflation !!

I'm just wondering about heavy goods deliveries... As I drive & deliver food.

Cross the bounderies how many times per day.. per week... Who's gonna ultimately pay ??
        Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

It's not about crossing the boundary. It's a per-day charge.

Comment

Quite right pay claims will come and companies will be forced to offer travel exspenses or to relocate if they can't hire anyone or just plain close.
            Deliveries will have to be passed on to the customer.
            To be honest it's too early to say it an success as it's half term so a lot of people will be off and probably haven't bothered going in to shop or visit tourists sites.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Apparently you can't in advance which seems rather silly. So if you're going in and out of london on five days you'll have to ring or visit the webpage or shops everyday.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Surely deliveries will be mostly done outside the congestion charging hours anyway???

Comment

Not necessarily.

We don't just have ONE drop, you know !!

More like a minimum of 8.

It takes approx two hours to get to London (from here). So... Up at 03:00. (04:00 start) In ( North) London by about 06:00..

Somebody beat you to the drop so you gotta wait .. min ..30 mins (if your lucky)... Warehouseman now wants a break.... So.. about another 30 mins before YOU actually unload at first drop !!..

Joe Public now out and about... Over to second drop......Maybe lucky... Maybe repeat performance.

Knock on effect !!

You get the idea.

Heres an example.. I used to deliver bulk powder cement to readymix plants/ canary wharf etc.. from our railhead depot at Kings Cross. We were down for 3 delivery runs to Canning town...Which is really.. just round the corner..

Once Joe public is out and about it becomes an impossibility to do three runs to the same drop in 12 hours!!

Comment

There's a reason why we left and didn't come back. (Too bad the politicians here are slowly but surely reverting back to the same lines of reasoning. )

Comment

??

Pardon ??

Did I miss something ??

Comment

Ancient history. Couple hundred years ago some colonists got tired of idiotic taxes and other politicial crap and revolted. Unfortunatly they've forgotten what the point was in the first place, and are drifting back into the same practices.

Just saying we're slowly deveoping the same problems you're having on the other side of the pond, greedy politicians gaining more and more power, and people not caring enough to do anything about it.
                        Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 20 February 2003, 14:04.

Comment

Aha..

Me comprende

Muchos agreemence !!

or in English..... Phuqing *A*

Comment

Uh this thread is heading into troublesome waters
                            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Thop,

Nah, just people complaining about taxes.

Pit and UK crew,

I saw the whole congestion tax thing on the US national news last night. I really bet Taxi drivers hate it. Is the public transportation really good enough, and cheap enough, that it can handle the addition strain of commuters that can't afford to pay the 3 pound per day tax?

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X