Prescott could reach 5GHZ... D@mn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescott could reach 5GHZ... D@mn!

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Plus new added features to the chip including a megabyte of level 2 cache a new and inproved HT possibly among other things.

Of course this may come crashing down if the Hammer has it's way.

Either (or both) way(s) programs like MSPro7 will have plenty of horsepower to do their thing with

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Any ideas when it will be released?

Comment

Not soon enough

I've read reports on various hardware sites that a 3-4 ghz Prescott using 90nm dies is due for late 2003 with faster chips coming later.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 February 2003, 21:34.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think we're going to see a significant increase in performance in MS Pro and TMPGENc with the 3.06 HT P4 which is available NOW.

Prescott which will be released later this year at around 3.5GHz will include 13 new instructions, one of which is dedicated to video compression, and a 1MB L2 cache.

In addition, these cpu's will utilize a 533MHz or 800MHz fsb and dual channel DDR400 memory architecture.

We will soon see the current MS Pro test running at real-time frame rates and better.

A lot of Prescott's release dates and speeds will probably be tied to Hammer's release and performance. Hopefully we'll get into another clock speed race like we saw in late 1999-2000 when Athlon and PIII coppermine were "jumping" one another every few months.
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
          X