AVG Antivirus issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG Antivirus issues

My brother used to have NAV on his machine, but I uninstalled it to put on AVG. Before i installed it, i rebooted, and everything felt smooth. Installed AVG, and the system is super slow. it takes 30 seconds to open MY COMPUTER. It used to take 2. Looked at his services and running apps...everything is normal. So we uninstalled AVG...and it was fast again. Reinstalled AVG...slow again. Took it off...fast again.

And no viruses were detected when we scanned his PC.
    Any clues?

Two common slowdown problems with Antivirus programs. Check to see the conditions for what it is scanning.

1. Make sure it is not scanning all files after all not all files can contain viruses. This introduces some unnecessary scanning and slowdowns.

2. Check your heuristic levels. NAV calls it bloodhound. Try lowering it.

3. Are you absolutely certain that NAV is gone? Check the startup to make sure a leftover is not starting with the machine. Two virus scanners can slow a system to a crawl.

Comment

I vote for it being set to scan all files.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I had it set the same way as I do on my machines that run it. And when it when it was still slow, i took off even more settings, so it barely did anything.

The "is NAV really off" question is the best idea i heard so far.

Comment

Also: side issue: Anytime I've installed it on ANY PC, it has crashed (just the program) after the first reboot where it initially loads. Anyone else?

Comment

I think it's a known issue....Gurm will clarify that
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yep. It always crashes after the first run. I _really_ wish they'd fix that, dammit.

As for the speed - AVG is a bit weird. Sometimes, I think it's the fastest thing on earth. Other times it seems to chunk up the machine a good deal. I can't honestly say what makes the difference... might be the engine, which they seem to change as often (or MORE often) as the virus definitions.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm: Do the execs get autoupdated like the virus definitions do? Cuz maybe my bro has a slightly newer EXE than i do?

Comment

Yeah, the engine itself gets updated perhaps once a week, maybe more often sometimes. So I have a feeling that once in a while a slow icky build slips through.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

The unwritten rule about free antivirus software... you're not allowed to complain about it. Unless, of course, it trashes your computer worse than any virus would
                    Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Hey some of us PAID for AVG.

- Gurm

Comment

They sort of sound dodgy like Mcafee. Heres the latest update sorry if your computer crawls or dies.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I haven't seen any updates that make my machine "crawl". I have seen a couple recently that weren't up to the "hey you can play quake while scanning for viruses" speed standard I'm used to with AVG.

But I wouldn't rule out some engine bug as what's causing his brother's machine to crawl. Or it could be Norton remnants.

- Gurm

Comment

I'm still wondering what the difference is between the free and paid version. They look identical to me... (duh, let's ask them....)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              But I wouldn't rule out some engine bug as what's causing his brother's machine to crawl. Or it could be Norton remnants.
                              Hmmm, i'll do a reg scan next time I'm over there to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X