This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Matrox?

Why don't they have any mobile variations? I would LOVE for my laptop to have a mobile G series card or P. The extra attention to 2D would be great for laptops and I think it would make them a large amount of money. Thoughts?
    My "Baby": Shuttle SS51G, P4@2.26 Ghz 533 FSB, 80 GB Western Digital Caviar "Special Edition" Hard Drive 7,200 RPM w/8 MB Cache, 512 MB Corsair PC2700 with Heat Spreaders, Pioneer DVD Drive (w/sexy slot load ), and of course a Matrox Parhelia Retail Vid Card

I don't think that 2D is relavent given DVI. Secondarily, multimonitor is not really as necessary on laptops as it might be on desktops. Without those two, no reason for Matrox to do laptops...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Multimon on laptops is perhaps more important than on a desktop, especially for the average consumer... most laptops now days come standard with not only the LCD, but also a DB-15 (and sometimes DVI) as well as TV out plugs, and having a good multimon solution on this would have been a wonderful market opportunity.

Think about it.. imagine several years back with the K6-2 and early P2/P3 laptops... now imagine if those had the capabilities of the G400, even if it didn't have the same level of 3d performance...

DVD-Max on a laptop 3 years ago? good tv output quality? good video overlay capabilities? drivers that acctually work well?

That being said, as K6-III pointed out the LCD uses DVI so the 2d quality is largely unimportant. But the driver support (at least what it was a few years back) would have been quite superior against laptops of the time. unfortunately, its a bit too late for it now...
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I think that even then, Matrox would have had a hard time building a low-power solution. Laptop video requires all sorts of power tricks.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think they'd have done ok. The G450 supposedly runs cool enough that the heatsink isn't strictly necessary.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

What about that F800 they were supposedly working on????
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Plus multimon for laptops, powerdesk etc....Matrox aren't just DualHead
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Comment

A mobile P would be one of the fastest laptop cards around. Although as Wombat pointed out, low-power is needed, and if they won't even make a P8x then there is no hope at all for new R&D into a new low-power version.

edit: A mobile G550 might be interesting. Does anybody know how much power it consumes? Make a new revision, enable features supposedly disabled, fix EMBM, up clocks, give it a real memory interface, then call it M600. Yes, dreamland is a fun place.
                  Last edited by bsdgeek; 20 February 2003, 15:09.

Comment

Sounds like crystal ball to me guys

Comment

As [GDI]Raptor pointed out, there is already a thread going in TCB about mobile M chips.

IMO, this is not likely to happen in the foreseeable future.
                      Further discussion can continue in the Crystal Ball thread Raptor linked to...
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                      X