Windows Media Player 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Player 9

well windows Media player 9 doesnt want to work on my computer anymore. Anytime I open a MP3 or MPEG file, it comes with up with an internal application error window and nothing more. I tried uninstalling it by using System restore but no luck at all with that. Kept telling me it couldnt restore to an eariler point. Any hints or suggestions?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Um, reinstall it....?
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Can't you just uninstall Media player all together?

That's what I did. I tried updating my Media Player 7, and I ended up with Media Player 9. Brought me nothing but headache. Uninstalled Media Player through "Add/Remove programs" and went back to version 7. Besides by the looks of it, the version 9 had no new features that I needed anyway.
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

No the only way to uninstall WMP9 is to do a system restore, according to what MS says. There also isn't an uninstall option in Add/remove programs. I also dont feel like wiping the system out again since I just did that 2 weeks ago.

I'll also tried reinstalling it and still have the same problem.

Comment

reinstall os ?

Add/Remove Windows components ?

edit: hmm, by me it shows in Add/Remove programs as "Windows Media Player system update (9 Series)"

you could get Reg Cleaner, select Show all software in Options/Uninstall Menu and see if it shows in the Uninstall Menu tab.
          Last edited by Admiral; 20 February 2003, 05:08.

Comment

having a similar problem.

everytime I load a mpg clip, it shows the bug report dialog and then drops back to the desktop.

odd. it worked just fine for quite a while...
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

The guys over on Pinnacle are complaining about the same thing:

With XP you cannot un-install WMP9 - W98 and W2K allows it apparently.

Also - the "Windows Media 9 Codec update package" (different to WMPlayer 9 update) cannot be un-installed at all.

Some guys have reported that installing WMEncoder9 solved their hassles.
              Lawrence

Comment

Try to reinstall WMP9 or the codec pack;

Learn how to get Windows Media Player 12 for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7.
                QDI KinetiZ 7E, Athlon XP 1800+, 1 GB PC133 SDRAM, ATi Radeon 9600 PRO 128 MB, SB Live! 5.1, Memorex 40x CD-RW, NEC ND-2500A DVD-/+RW, 120 + 80 GB Seagate Barracuda, Windows XP SP1, 17" LG L1710B TFT

Comment

I was running the beta version and as soon as I upgraded through update to the release version I couldn't burn any WMA's.

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't do anything, the only thing that got mine working again was the codec pack that Alekz mentioned

Comment

I got the POS shit to work again, I had to let it manage the rights to my media to get it to work when I reinstalled it.

Comment

Yeah it gets all pissy if you try to circumvent that stuff. Someone needs to make a good crack for it.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

jv6 powertools.

it displays the hidden uninstalls. note that I didn't check the installation of wmp9 on xp, but if it's installed you should be able to remove it with the jv16 powertools (going to registry tools, uninstal lmenu then show hidden from the preference menu).

Comment

Working...
                        X