dead HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead HD?

I came home from work today to find one of Andrea's friend's computers next to my desk.

I fired it up and no boot partition was detected. I went into the BIOS and it couldn't detect any harddrives.

I opened the box, removed the HD and connected it to my rig. My BIOS cant see it either.

seems dead to me.

Any ideas?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Try clapping your hands and twirling around in a cirlce 4 times and see what happens. If nothing special happens (besides looking like a fool) then you have a dead hdd.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

LOL

I thought about sharing my beer with it?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

probably the electronics fried on the drive.

If the data on it was of great importance, you could always try to find an identical drive model and 'borrow' the pcb with electronic to use it to read all the data from the drive with the broken one.

Comment

I am sure it is important. However, i have more important things to worry about. Finals are areound the corner

Comment

Cheers for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
              I am sure it is important. However, i have more important things to worry about. Finals are areound the corner
              Good patients on your finals!

Edit: I dunno, "good patients" sound kinda weird.

Edit 2: patience or patients? I'm confused.
              Last edited by ZokesPro; 20 February 2003, 08:22.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Dont wish me luck, wish my patients!

Comment

Try throwing it in the freezer. You may get a few minutes of operation out of it...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

freezer????

Comment

That probably only works for certain mechanical defects.

btw. Good luck on those patients

Comment

is it spinning up at all?

if it is making a noise of some sort - or a vibration - 'stroke it'...

give it a tap with the end of a pen....

if that fails - a tap with a knuckle.............

if that fails drop it 1 inch.........................................

if that fails throw it against a wall! - its trashed any way and the satisfaction will do you good!

(I have heard of the freezer thing before - but its never worked for me...

RedRed
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I've thrown my stethoscope on it and it's not spinning at all....

Oh well!

Good job it isn't mine!

Comment

Originally posted by ex RedRed
                            is it spinning up at all?

if it is making a noise of some sort - or a vibration - 'stroke it'...

give it a tap with the end of a pen....

if that fails - a tap with a knuckle.............

if that fails drop it 1 inch.........................................

RedRed
                            The 1" drop is highly unadvised. The only time it was recommended was with an old Maxtor "stuck head" problem. Even then, it was only a one-shot trick that was going to give you a couple hours to read the data off the drive - writing would be borked, and the drive would be worthless soon anyway.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wacked the drive from my mom's computer in a table a couple of times(very very hard since i was really frustrated) and after that it gave in and released its content's
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X