Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this mean my physical memory is bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this mean my physical memory is bad?

Seems like physical memory but I have never seen a message like this from Windows before.

Dave
    Attached Files
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Not necessarily.
    Could just be one of those "unexplainable" windows abarations.
    Has it happened repeatedly, or just once or twice?
    If just once or twice, I wouldn't worry about it.
    If it is happenening all the time, the only way to really check it is to try swapping out the memory (or if you're running multiple sticks, try running them one at a time).
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Once upon a time it was "normal" behavior to get that in a Windows 2000 system... It usually was about some string or other resource being larger in size than the buffer allocated for it. But that was a long time ago, and the latest Service Packs should have gotten rid of those.

It COULD be bad RAM or too aggressive mem timings. It could also be just bad luck.

Comment

Thanks Kruzin. Yeah, it has only happened once(tonight), while closing a webpage that I had a PDF opened. The REAL reason I am asking is due to a Video Card problem I've been having so I am trying to find a solution to one proboem and something else pops up. Hopefully it isn't a memory problem.
        Secondly, I recently added another 512MB stick of Mushkin PC2100 memory. I guess the good news is, the memory is lifetime warranty so I should be able to get it replaced if it is bad.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest
          It COULD be bad RAM or too aggressive mem timings. It could also be just bad luck.
          hmmm...didn't think of aggressive emory timings. I do have it set to CL2 even though one of my sticks only support CL2.5.

Dave

Comment

Download memtest86 and let it run for 12+hours...
            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I had that happen when I was overclocking a little farther than the CPU wanted to go. It would even always do it on the same instruction and memory location.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

memory error

Thats weird, my system does something similar nearly every time I shut down (but only when shutting down).

I had thought this might be to do with memory timings so I backed off the timings a bit. It still happens, but not as often, although that could just be my imagination.

Nest time it happens I will write down the exact error so I can post it here. I would be really grateful if someone can find a solution to this!

I am running XP Pro on an Elite K7S5A (SiS 735), Athlon XP 1800. The memory is a single stick of Corsair PC2700 CAS 2. The rated memory timings for this module are 2-3-3-6-T1.

Although I am only running at 133MHz, the module is rated at 166MHz so I would have thought it should be OK. This is until I get a new motherboard, capable of 166FSB. I was waiting for a SiS746, but there don't seem to be any available in the UK, so I may have to turn to the Dark Side and get an nforce2. Any suggestions for a cheap nforce2 board? The MSI board looks a good deal to me, anyone got one of these and can report on it?

I will check the exact error message and memory timings and post back later.

Cheers

Jon
                XP1800+ MSI 746Ultra 256Mb Corsair PC2700 MSI GF4800SE SBLive! WD 80GB 7200 DVD CDRW

Comment

I have that happen all the time with Acrobat loaded through IE. I think it is a problem with Acrobat's integration with IE. Do you have the full version 5 installed?
                  P=I^2*R
                  Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Orbiter has some kind of problem with DX8 and up; On Win98 it'll occasionally drop back to a highly corrupted desktop, and on WinXP it'll give the same error you saw (different numbers of course.) I think PowerHungry's right, probably just Acrobat not getting along perfectly with IE.
                    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 18 February 2003, 09:58.

Comment

Cool, well I was suspicious of Adobe Acrobat, but now I feel very confident it is related to that after seeing your posts. Thanks!

Dave

Comment

Helevitia, hust a thing: have you checked that the VM is correctly set-up?
                        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                        X