Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blimmin' Creative Audigy drivers...

Grrrr...

Must have made one or other update to my machine in the last week that borked the creative audigy drivers. Suddenly no sound (I haven't had the speakers on for the last week or so (not enough plugs!) - so it could have been any number of things.

So I uninstalled the drivers. BSOD.

Safe mode. Get rid of every reference to creative I could find, everywhere (insert sledgehammer/nut analogy here)

Reinstalled from the original CD (I haven't tried Gurm's Audigy 2 trick yet - but might do if I am forced to reinstall windows in the end...)

All seemingly ok-ish. Only need/want the drivers, so just installed them. Got sounds in windows at least; can play mp3s. Good.

Try updating the drivers with the latest update. "There is no audigy in this machine" or something. So I can't update... Grrrrr more.

So either I just leave it as it is, with un-updated drivers, and wait until the general instability pisses me off to reinstall windows again, or what?

WHY are Creative so sh*t at writing stuff? Why can't we use their newer audigy 2 drivers that are apparently more stable/leaner & meaner instead?

And WHY THE HELL do we have to use the original CD drivers as a first install? Is there no way of grabbing a fully up-to-date drivers-only single-file to install from the HDD?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more.

Win2k/AthlonXP/MSI745Ultra/Parhelia etc etc etc if you're interested...

George
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Shouldn't laugth but had simlilar problems under Windoze ME. Deleted manually the machine rebooted happily until I cleaned the reg entries with Reg Cleaner and Windoze would only then boot in safe mode. So I had to restore the orginal reg entries.
    Anyway I've got ATI drivers and Creative on my systems so you should feel sorry for me.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Just add VIA into the mix...

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        Just add VIA into the mix...
        Ah thats easy don't install there crap bar the agp driver. Even manages to fubar things up sometimes as well though. Luckily now on a sis based solution.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yup - SiS has been good to me so far. In fact, of all my hardware, the Audigy has caused me the most grief over the years...

Comment

GNEP, if you're not interested about EAX, this probably will be the solution (wchich will give you better sound quality btw, if you're using just stereo...)

I mentioned this already here

Comment

Working...
            X