Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Msi 745 & Wd 120gb Se?

Well, here's my puzzler...

Ordered a Western Digital 120GB 8MB cache "Special Edition" hard drive. Thing is supposed to be the fastest IDE drive on the planet.

It shows up, I slap it in... BIOS sees it as 120GB so I boot...

XP fails to format it. Uh-oh.

Fire up Data Lifeguard, it says "Your BIOS doesn't see this drive correctly."

Hmm... go into BIOS, check drive parameters... instead of 16383/16/63, it says xxxx/255/255 (xxxx is some 5000 number I forget). Oops! So I say to myself, is it the drive or my BIOS?

According to MSI, the 745 sees big drives (up to 200GB were tested) just fine. Hmm...

Go next door, slap it in the neighbor's P4... and it promptly starts making funny noises, KICKS violently (made the case move!) and dies outright.

Wow.

Erm, so does this happen often with WD? Should I go for a slightly slower yet perhaps not as defective drive?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Hey, at least it didn't spin the disk fast enough to explode!
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 17 February 2003, 00:10.

Comment

Sounds like a DOA drive. I don't think it has anything to do with MSI.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: Msi 745 & Wd 120gb Se?

Originally posted by Gurm
        Well, here's my puzzler...

Ordered a Western Digital 120GB 8MB cache "Special Edition" hard drive. Thing is supposed to be the fastest IDE drive on the planet.

It shows up, I slap it in... BIOS sees it as 120GB so I boot...

XP fails to format it. Uh-oh.

Fire up Data Lifeguard, it says "Your BIOS doesn't see this drive correctly."

Hmm... go into BIOS, check drive parameters... instead of 16383/16/63, it says xxxx/255/255 (xxxx is some 5000 number I forget). Oops! So I say to myself, is it the drive or my BIOS?

According to MSI, the 745 sees big drives (up to 200GB were tested) just fine. Hmm...

Go next door, slap it in the neighbor's P4... and it promptly starts making funny noises, KICKS violently (made the case move!) and dies outright.

Wow.

Erm, so does this happen often with WD? Should I go for a slightly slower yet perhaps not as defective drive?

- Gurm
        you should ask ThePIT what he usually does in this case

Comment

I've had one of those drives for the best part of a year, and it's given me no trouble whatsoever.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Never had a DOA Western Digital Drive, but I've RMA'ed dozens of them. I still like them anyway, since they get you a replacement drive, unlike IBM
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've only had 4-5 WD's in the last couple of years, of which only one still survives; a 30g I use as a removable beta OS drive.

OTOH I have well over 30 Maxtors ranging from a couple of Diamond Max 2160 8.4g's to the D740X's. Every single one of 'em survives and is in use somewhere around here.

Got a DiamondMax Plus 9 200g on order for testing with another new toy: 7200 rpm, 8 meg cache, 200 mb etc. We'll see hot that goes.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 February 2003, 06:36.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again Gurm. You have the worst hardware luck of ANYONE I know......
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I installed that exact same model and size of drive in my system about two weeks ago.
                  Lovely piece of kit, near silent and oh so fast.
                  Just one of those DOA's that slipped through the net by the sounds of things.
                  It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                  Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Yeah. Well, it's on its way back.

In its place is a dead-silent, ultra-reliable Seagate Barracuda V ATA - also with 8MB of cache. The 2MB 120GB SBV wasn't the world's best performer... 10% slower than the WD or IBM models. But the 8MB model ought to rock the house, and still be inaudible.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                    X