Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro7 capture trick: capture/convert VOB's

Here's a neat new trick in MSPro7's Video Capture tool:

Set the video capture plugin to "Ulead DVD-VR", even if you don't have a DVD-VR deck.

Now go to the Properties button in the Capture menu and it'll present a file dialog where you can browse to read in a Video_TS or DVD_RTAV folder. The folder can be on a disk in a DVD reader or on the HDD.

Video Capture will now present this dialog;

Note it splits the DVD content into its constituent chapters which you can select singly or as groups.

When you press FINISH the *.vob's will be captured to *.mpg's...either a single large one or multiple ones (numerically sequenced) as set up in the advanced capture options.

Cool, but doesn't work on protected DVD's.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 June 2003, 09:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Thanks for the tip.

Very cool.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

I'm curious... what non-protected DVD's could anyone possibly have that would "fit the bill" for this particular feature?

Jeff B

Comment

It would allow you to extract video from DVD-VR or other DVD recordable disks for modification in authoring software.

On the nepharious side those who rip would extract and decrypt *.vobs to disk from protected disks, at which time MSPro could convert them to mpeg's for re-burning.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 June 2003, 09:40.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ah!

Jeff B

Comment

Hopefully it'd work with the DVD+RW or DVD-ROM from standalone recorders like those form Phillips or Panasonic. If it's mpeg editing is good enough to let me cut the commercials and then reburn without rerendering it's be a great feature indeed!

--wally.

Comment

Given that in MSPro7 you have the option of frame content scene splitting when loading *.mpg, *.m2v and DV files with adjustable sensitivity and the ability to do manual splits and joins I don't see why not.

Frame content splitting can be done with captures from analog video cards and does not require timecode markers as the usual DV splitting method does.

This scan was done with a 6000 kbps VBR DVD compliant MPEG-2 with 384 kbps audio generated by TMPGEnc Plus, and the scan was completed at a speed of about 2-3x realtime.

If you want to "join" scenes you click on the second one and click Join, at which time it and the previous scene become one and you get an indication of how many scenes have been merged in the Joined column.

Once done if you uncheck any boxes those "scenes" will be omitted when you import the stream. The scene cuts are also transferred to the timeline.

Oh....by the way......this clip exported with a very fast smartrender, about 4x realtime, with no video frame re-compression. Yup...just over 1 minute of MPEG video exported in ~15 seconds

In short: MPEG smartrender works and works well.

All I had to do was match up the project settings to the stream characteristics (Info button in the load file dialog gives the info) and off it went.

How's that grab 'ya wally?

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 February 2003, 17:43.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X