Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.4ghz Digital Video Transmitters, Do they work good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4ghz Digital Video Transmitters, Do they work good?

I recently saw an ad over Home Shopping Network for the new RCA 2.4ghz Digital Video Transmitter and Reciever. This could possibly solve my reciving problems with an antenna but im not that sure. I want to set up the transmitter upstairs to my CATV and put the reciever downstars into my BOB. Just wondering how the quality would be.

I'm not sure about the one you saw but here's another version of the concept.
    http://www.x10.com/products/vk53a_dd1.htm
    paulw

Comment

YES!!! I have absolutely fallen in love with the 2.4Ghz video transmitter that I picked up at Radio Shack for $99.95 (it was an impulse buy - or else I would have bought it off the web).

It is transmitting from my G400Max UPSTAIRS to our projector DOWNSTAIRS and it looks absolutley fabulous on our 10 foot screen. We watch DivX on it, we play Unreal Tournament and Rouge Spear (thanks to the wireless keyboard and mouse) and they all look great. I haven't even seen it burp yet. It worked flawlessly out of the box.

This is quite a different experience from the 900Mhz one that I bought a couple of years ago. It had all kinds of shadowing and ghosting problems. But this 2.4 Ghz works great.

Garrett

PS: I don't know if X10 sells more than one version, but the version my colleague bought only works with X10 software and requires a DVD decoder card. The Radio Shack one just has RCA jacks on both ends... nothing proprietary.

[This message has been edited by RBryant (edited 03 September 2000).]
      RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
      2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
      1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
      Adaptec AAA-133U2
      3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
      Jaz 1GB
      UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
      PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
      Pioneer 6X DVDROM
      G400 Max
      Rainbow Runner-G
      Obisidan X-24
      ViewSonic P815
      SBLive!
      Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
      3COM 3C905B-TX
      Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
      Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
      Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
      1.5M/256k ADSL
      Trusty Ol' Floppy

Comment

Just one word of possible warning for a select few. I believe I've read that the 2.4 Ghz standard is pretty wide-open to interference from other 2.4 Ghz devices. So if you have a 2.4 Ghz phone, or an 802.11 BlueTooth wireless home network (or any other 2.4 Ghz device), be forwarned that there might be problems.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been keeping up with Wireless news.

[This message has been edited by AVATAR-X (edited 04 September 2000).]
        "Welcome to the edge of infinity...welcome to the Nexus"

http://home.pacbell.net

Comment

The X10 2.4 GHz sender/recievers are surprisingly good for the price, but mine go nuts when the microwave oven is in use.

I don't know if its RFI or AC line conducted noise as the X10 units have cheapo wall plug power supplies.

--wally.

Comment

Mine goes nuts whenever someone walks between it and the reciever :-(

If you can keep the kids out of the way it's very good though.

Comment

Working...
            X