Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the future of MURC

To the future of MURC

I have been with MURC for 3 years now, and of course I was lurking for a further 10 years before that. In this time I have asked many questions, received many answers, and hopefully offered the odd bit of help and humour to the site during my stay.

I’ve just been looking back over ‘The Soap Box’ threads, from years gone by, and seeing how the tone has changed. I would say that the last 18 months have been more aggressive, possibly due to the terrorist attacks on the USA that have heightened world tension as well, and the last few months it has heightened even more. We have MURCers specifically posting anti-whatever links and comments to stir up trouble. Let’s stop

Here are some links to some 500-thread-milestones that TSB has hit (<a href="http://forums.murc.ws/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14&daysprune=1000&sort order=asc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=10&pagenumber =50">500</a>, <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14&daysprune=1000&sort order=asc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=10&pagenumber =100">1000</a>, <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14&daysprune=1000&sort order=asc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=10&pagenumber =150">1500</a>, <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14&daysprune=1000&sort order=asc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=10&pagenumber =200">2000</a>, <a href="http://forums.murc.ws/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14&daysprune=1000&sort order=asc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=10&pagenumber =250">2500</a>). Note how many threads degraded into war grounds...of note, Jorden's thread aimed directly at Guru - it didn't even get locked. Why? Is it because MURC wasn't a dictatorship back then run by 'Ant The Ass'? Or was it possibly because MURCers were a lot less aggressive back then, and could air their views without trying to stir up trouble? I choose the latter, and maybe a bit of the former. This site is a dictatorship, run by Ant. Ant does not have weapons of mass destruction. Ant does not violate any human rights, although I wouldn't put it past him to kick a dog where the sun does not shine

So, Ant runs this site, and of course owns it. Some MURCers have donated money towards the future funding of MURC. Let us take a moment to thank them. Thanks.

Now, let us take a moment to think of what Ant has spent in the past - his time and money. Once I get round to donating, I'm not going to think of it as buying a voting share in the future of MURC, but as a thanks to Ant for offering this forum as a service to me. Sure there have been some annoyances in the past, and I can be certain that the running of this site will cause annoyances in the future. Donating money to Ant should not be seen as a right to proclaim our ways of running a site as the right way. Does anyone else here run a site bigger than MURC? I don't - and don't know just how hard it can be.

So, can we stop trying to dicate to Ant how to run this site, and let him run it like he has for the past 3 years I've been here, and beyond? ‘The Lounge’ is a fresh start from the heated Soap Box, can we all try and work towards making this community one that doesn’t need threads deleted and locked, but one where people of all fields can come here and feel – what a great community

Finally, a further thanks to Ant - he reads and listens to most of the criticism, but probably does not receive enough thanks. So, thanks Ant, here’s to a great MURCing future – let’s hope Matrox can provide us with some help too

Cheers!

Lots of love,

Mr P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Can you feel the love?
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Pace: It was time to say/write sth. like that!

Ant: Keep the good work going on, it's highly appreciated. I know what it means to run a forum, I have been the Co-Admin of a forum, although with only 600 users...but the issues were nearly the same as here. So, again: Thank you for this place!
      main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Echoed.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Amen.
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Group hug!

P.S: Woohoo we have a lounge and my game is still alive!!
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro

P.S: Woohoo we have a lounge and my game is still alive!!
                  I really think you should listen to Budman suggestion, from time to time
                  Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

What was his suggestion?

Comment

Go get laid!
                      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                        Go get laid!
                        It's an ever present thought in my mind!

Comment

*LOL*
                          main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Here here!
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Amen, Pace... though I'm a bit late.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X