Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 PCI + nForce2 + DVDmax?

Hi,

I know the G450 PCI wont work with VIA-Chipsets (I had to learn that the hard way), but I am about to change from my current Intel Setup to an Athlon XP Setup with nForce2 Chipset. However, I dont wanna give up the DVDmax feature (I use the G450 PCI as secondary card). So my question is, has anybody tried this configuration out? Are the chances high that it wont work? Thanks.

the only chipset that the G450 PCI was capable of using Busmastering was with Intel chipsets. don't consider the move if you use any 3d acceleration on G450

Even on a VIA chipset the G450 should have worked, just performance would have been really, really low in a number of things. I would say that odds are the drivers are going to treat it the same if its an NForce2 or a VIA chipset, however there really should not have been any major problems (besides abysmal performance) running on either one.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Hmpf, this doesnt sound too reassuring
      Maybe I will just try out the TV-Out of my Geforce, although it cant be nearlly as good
      If only I knew whether it might run on a P IV Intel Chipset for sure, then I might switch to that one instead...

Comment

the G450 PCI should work flawlessly with any Intel chipset motherboard.

It should acctually work flawlessly on any other chipset, save for PCI bus mastering being disabled and as a result it having absolutely abysmal 3d performance. 2d/video performance should be relatively unaffected (or not noticably, save for an increase in cpu utilization).

And if you value your eyes don't even bother with the TV-Out on any NVidia card... its really, really, really bad... and quite... disturbing...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

In that case, I will probably go with the Athlon and live with the lack of busmaster support for the G450. I dont do anything 3D-related on it anyway, it is mainly for textdisplay on a second monitor and watching video. If that works, I am happy. Thanks for your help...

Comment

I would be very cautious when using a g450 pci on a via chipset.
            I used a G450 pci + G400 on my main systems for months, each card driving one screen. What I can tell you, is that the G450 performance was quite poor, 2D was noticeably slow with windows crawling on the desktop, and nothing ever seemed really "smooth". I also had to limit my monitor resolution to 1376.768 32 bits so as to watch videos with overlay. Going higher would lead to no overlay at all (probably a memory problem since the card only has 16 Mb), and unbearable performances on videos...
            Not to mention the frequent blue screens all related to matrox driver files and coming out of nowhere...

Vervamon

Comment

Working...
            X