Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visual experiment 1

Try this for fun:

The links below will show you an image for a while, that every so often will get briefly covered in 'mudsplashes'. Can you see any other details in the picture changing?

Please DON'T post the answers here. I'll post an explanation in a day or two.
    traffic

airplane

dinner

Good Luck!

T.
    FT.

Yep - got them all Once I got the first one (took me a few moments though!) the 2nd two were easy.

Comment

the first was a bit tricky, 2nd and 3rd very easy.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Thought they were all pretty simple...but maybe we're not catching everything?

Comment

The little flashing boxes do a nice job of diverting your notice, even when you're trying to see the whole picture as one, neato.

Comment

Yeah those were pretty neat, I like the first one it took me the longest of them all

~Sethos
            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

As soon as I've downloaded them I noticed the whole thing...a bit too easy for me...
              Maybe that's because I'm good in seeing the whole surrounding (I remember that once a doctor before he gave me permission to driving licence couldn't believe for a moment that I have pretty effective ~180 degrees eyesight; but of course not so effective as in the center of view...).

Guess I would be amazed by surround gaming ;P

Comment

I'm sure my neigbours cat can see at least that when I pull his scalp back... sure isn't normal lookin tho
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe, whanna phone number to that doctor? (If he's alive that is...and that's really IF).

Anyway what I've mentioned whas several years ago...but it's not too difficult to make such test - just stand at the wall touching it with back of your head. When I do that I see what's in the corners of that wall (and I don't live in typical old polish building in wchich walls give new meaning to word "line" ;P). Of course not with all the details, but I see general shape, color and movement...

Seriously, do this: look at someone's face from the side. You'll be able to see the pupil (wchich means that it also 'accumulate' light that's coming from you); the only little problem is that this light in most people eyes after it passes through lens of the eye doesn't hit retina, because it just isn't there.
                  Shape of it it's a lottery - I've got that kind of lot (wchich is completely useless btw; well, maybe not completely - you shoud really see that doctor repeating couple of times "how many thingers do you see?!" ;P)

Comment

First one took a while, then the 2nd and 3rd was easy.
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Bump - detail later
                      FT.

Comment

I hope you all enjoyed that. Of couse, you would eventually have noticed the white line, the shadow & the rail changing. Some people get it quicker than others.

The phenomenom being demonstrated is called change blindness. I came across it because I have to implement a version of it for work.

Here is a brief descripton from here:

"When a few small, high contrast shapes are briefly spattered over a picture, like mudsplashes on a car windshield, very large changes can simultaneously be made in the scene without these being noticed. This occurs even when the mudsplashes do not in any way cover or obscure the changes. The phenomenon is important in driving, surveillance or navigation, since it shows that possibly dangerous events occurring in full view may go unnoticed if they coincide with even very small, apparently innocuous disturbances. The phenomenon is also of theoretical importance in understanding the way the brain represents the visual world. "

You can see more examples at http://nivea.psycho.univ-paris5.fr/M...ovie_List.html
                        FT.

Comment

Thanks Tone! Interesting...
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I like stuff like that. And I get 403 forbidden

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                              I like stuff like that. And I get 403 forbidden

AZ
                              Same here. (for both comments)
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment