X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA converters!!!

I would get these if I had a sata controller on my board

Sata converter review
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Site is down ATM. What's the price?

Comment

Site is down ATM. What's the price?
      Following the provider link on that review, it seems $23.99

Comment

At that price I could get one to all my drives without making my accountant angry
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

They require a small power connection to operate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            They require a small power connection to operate?
            yes and seems like the floopy ones (forgot what you call them )...

but if u try to run a RAID setup... u probably need a seperate PCI card to do the job. Most mobos have 2 SATA headers.

Comment

Yes you need to actually give the bridge some power.
              The bridge gets power from a small power connector and the HD gets it's power as it always has done - via one of the more "chunky" connectors.

RAID shouldn't be a problem as long as your motherbaord actually has a RAID SATA controller.
              My P4G8X-D has a Silicon Image SATA Raid controller so the two headers would allow me to either run RAID 1 or RAID 0.
              However as I only have the one WD1200JB HD connected to my SATA controller via an ASUS bridge no RAID for me.

No information as to if that bridge pictured supports ATAPI devices or not.
              In fact the only bridge that I do know definitely supports ATAPI devices is a Silicon Image one and I haven't been able to source one of those in the UK yet.
              Last edited by Paulr; 14 February 2003, 20:04.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Anyone knows when we'll see sata integrated into southbridge?

Comment

Intel's ICH5 should support this - so probably anywhere up to 6 months before we see it on the shelves, although expect its announcement before then.

Comment

SATA

nowhere,

i've seen ASUS motherboards here locally that have SATA headers on them. the sales person said that the drives are/won't beavailable for some time(1 yr??).

cc

Comment

Chucky Cheese
                      first: read others posts carefully
                      second: apparently that sales person doesn't have a clue about what is in that store, because even here in Poland sata drives are available (and we have usually some delay compared with W Europe, States, not to mention Japan when it comes to computer equipment)

Comment

Seagate has been selling a SATA version of the 'Cuda since a few months already...

Comment

In "limited availability", until Q3 2003 (or Q4).
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

It may be interesting to note that a Segate SATA drive reviewed in this months PC Pro magazine (UK) was performing slower than it's PATA equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                              In "limited availability", until Q3 2003 (or Q4).
                              so if you ordered it back then, you should have it by now

anyway, there is no advantage to moving to SATA right now. wait for next generation SATA drives that are likely to be faster than the current ATA100-133 drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X