HT questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT questions

Is there such thing as a decent, budget receiver that has digital inputs and 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

How about the Kenwood VR-605 for $199 at Best Buy?

Five 100 watt surround channels plus both optical and coaxial digital inputs.

Kenwood isn't what it once was, but this looks to be a decent deal.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 February 2003, 20:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My Onkyo (temporarily replacing the H/K) was $299, and kicks ass for the money.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

How about making your post worth the mention and tell us what Onkyo reciever that is Jason...
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

What does audio equipment have to do with Hyperthreading?!?

Comment

The Onkyo SR500 is the best bet for $299.

If you want to go cheaper still, your best bet will be a Sherwood RD7106 on ebay for about $180.

If you're willing to stretch to $499, there is the Outlaw 1050....
            Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

@Jon HT = Home Theater until Intel messed that up recently

The cheaper Onkyos and Kenwood look pretty good for what I need. How about Pioneer? I like their DVD drives and players

I'm putting together a home theater computer that'll cost 500-600. I just need the receiver to take in the digital from the sound card; I don't want to spend too much on one component, especially since my roommate is getting his dad's old speaker set. I think he also has a record player and his uncle's record collection, so that'll be cool to hook up.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yes, I have the SR500 from Onkyo.

Pioneer's sound in this arena is sorely lacking it was tinny and undefined.

Honestly, the only two systems under $500 that I'd even consider are Onkyo and H/K, but since my last H/K overheated repeatedly under normal operating conditions, I've decided to give their cheaper units a pass. So until I can afford a $1000 tuner (at which point I'll likely ALSO be able to afford to move out of this arena into real HT altogether) I'm sticking with this Onkyo.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Let me fill in for KvH, who apparently has not seen the thread yet

[KvH info]

What is your budget for the receiver? Surround speakers?

Other brands to look at are the Yamaha and Denon receivers. Yamaha's are a bit more musical than Denon's, but Denon's have all the fun nifty gadgets on them. So whatever floats your boat the best.

Try and stick with the AVR series with Denon, as the lower lines make too many comprimises in sund performance. SPecifically the AVR-1603, 1803 and 2802. One or more of those should fall into your budget.

The Yamaha RX-V line will offer you an excellent balance between sound and performance. If you can dish out for the high-end RX-Z, more power to you! Look at the RX-V 530, 630 and 730.

[/end KvH info]

Of course, depending on budget, nothing will beat a nice components system. Though going seperates gets costly fast, so unless you're willing to dish out a god chunk of change for the audio, don't even bother thinking about it.

Other brands I like are Kenwood, Technics and Onkyo. I can't give you specific models, you just need to decide what works best with your budget.

The best way to find a good receiver is to:

1) Research online to find the models and brands that come highly recommended that are within your price range.

2) Find a local store that carries them (if you can find 1 store that carries multiple brands, the check it out).

3) Have a sales person hook up the speakers that resemble yours the most (i.e. cabinet size, number of drivers, same rough price range, etc).

4) Give each a listening to with the tyoe of music and movies you enjoy the most. Most stores will let you bring in your own CD's. Make sure the CD's get marked at the front door if you go to Best Buy or stores like it, so they don't think you're stealing them on the way out.

The final factor should be your own ears. Since every room and condition sounds different, the sound will change between store and home, hopefully for the better (as it did in my case).

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jamm,

He asked for a budget receiver that does 5.1 with digital ins. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "budget" does NOT include "$1000 for a separate amp, tuner, and decoder".

As far as I know, nothing worth listening to from Yamaha comes in under $500 does it (I'm asking here, I don't know but I haven't seen anything that cheap). Kenwood's offerings in the price range we're discussing are weaker than Onkyo and H/K's. And Technics... again you have to get a bit pricey for them to be nice.

(Says Gurm, still sitting on his 10-year-old Technics cabs).

- Gurm

Comment

I know people who think a budget system is $10k USD. You never know I was just posting seperates as another options. If you looked up all the receiver models I posted, they are all under or around $500.

And there are several under $500 worth listening to.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ahh, ok then.

You have to understand, I live in the fifth circle of hell (also known as Northeast Pennsylvania). The closest thing to a good electronics store around here is Circuit City.

- Gurm

Comment

Okay thanks guys, I'll check out the local stereo stores now that I know what I'm looking for. We don't have any big electronic stores around here just a few local shops, so hopefully they have a good selection though.

Comment

Usually if you go the manufacturer's site, they'll tell you where your local distributors are. My B&Ws were well worth the hour's drive.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

In the 'affordable' range I'd definetly put Yamaha in the 'best bang for the buck' category.
                              Now, if they could rid of all that added 'gadgetry' that none of us use!
                              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X