Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo of "Cracked Wing" isn't!

As if we didn't already know.
    Look on the right side of the bottom photo of the payload bay.

Bogus
    NASA: E-Mailed Columbia Image is Bogus
    A photograph circulating through e-mail that claims to be a photo of a crack in Columbia’s wing is neither of the wing nor a crack, NASA says. There have been reports that Israeli astronaut Ilan Ramon shot a picture of a cracked wing from the orbiter. It’s impossible to get an image of the wing from the shuttle’s flight deck or the research module in the payload bay. The image was grabbed from a video shot on Columbia’s final mission. It shows a view from Spacehab, the research module, which held all the experiments in the payload bay. It has two viewports in the roof. During the mission, the orbiter was oriented at various angles so the astronauts could get particular views for their experiments.

The image in the photo shows part of the Spacehab and the Earth beyond. In the lower center part of the photo, there’s a cable held down with tape, NASA spokesman Bill Johnson said. It appears to look like a crack in low-resolution versions of the photo. The other "cracks" on the right are actually creases or seams in a blanket on the Spacehab. No crack or wing is visible in the large image NASA released.
    also:http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/835360/posts

chuck
    Last edited by cjolley; 11 February 2003, 07:47.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Thanks, Chuck.. those links should silence all that crap.

Comment

Fat chance.

Kevin

Comment

It's a conspiracy! They've even gone and reengineered the old photos of the shuttle to make us think that isn't actually the wing!

Comment

Good Photo shop job.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I told you so
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Agreement@MURC!

I concede that it is part of the shuttle, though an interior part.
              And that the picture was taken through a window, though not a shuttle window.
              It was taken through a window on the lab.

Originally posted by thop
              ...Anyway i'm pretty sure NASA knew of the damage and that there was trouble ahead. How much they knew and what could've done or not done is another question..

Do you concede that it was not a part of the wing?
              And that the picture and video had nothing to do with NASA knowing or not knowing anything about problems with the wing?
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

from the same thread:
                Just news came in that the movie/picture was probably misinterpreted, as it was taken from one of the windows by the israeli astronaut and they say you cannot see the wings (or at least that part of it) from any of the windows. So it is probably another part of the ship.

Also what appears to be crackles could also be cables. Nobody seems to really know though, at least NASA isn't saying anything about it.
                I fully agree on the NASA thing you mentioned above
                no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

CJ

I have to concur - but as I posted already (in the america goes to war thread), it was not a fake, neither was it a shot of the wing.....

It was you guys that claimed that the whole picture was a fake, done in Photoshop.....

It just goes to prove one thing - we dont - none of us - know are arses from our elbows!

RedRed
                  Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Houston, we have agreement@MURC!
                    Rocketing a discussion in Soap Box tward a landing at planet Truth Seeking.
                    Without burning up in the atmophere of Flame World!
                    How refreshing.
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X