If...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If...

If I found a Canon L2 at a pawnshop, with its aluminum case and a few extras, for $529, should I get it?

Now before you answer, the tape drive mechanism in it has evidently got a slipping idler wheel, as it does not take up any tape in one direction or the other (fast-forwarding or rewinding, playing, recording, ah, blah, blah, blah, etc...)

Is it worth buying then? I contacted a camera repair shop and they guesstimated the repairs to be from $250-$350. Perhaps I should order a replacement idler wheel assembly for it and then take it to them to repair, circumventing their knack to talk me into any costly parts bill. It'll make me look like I know exactly what's wrong with it too and perhaps get them to cut me a break on repairs due to the fact that I probably would repair it myself if I had the correct tools.

Is it worth throwing money at? How does its 1/2 inch CCD stack up to a 3 CCD camera?

So many questions and hardly any information on it out there on the web...

------------------
    Deep is not the root word of depression.
    Deep is not the root word of depression.

For gawd's sake, do NOT buy it! The purchase of any analog (Hi8 or otherwise) camcorder today is a huge mistake, especially one that requires repair. You'd be much better off buying a low-end MiniDV or a Digital8 camcorder.

Comment

Why do you think it's in the pawn shop? It's the only way of getting a hundred bucks or so back on inoperative equipment. Believe me, it won't stop at replacing a wheel or two. Quite frankly, as Patrick implies, anyone buying an obsolete technology needing repair in a pawn shop with no guarantee, at a price approaching what you would pay for a new camera, well.... you finish the sentence.

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

[This message has been edited by Brian Ellis (edited 02 September 2000).]
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
      X