Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Problem?

Greetings!

I'm currently running an MSI 845E-Max2 mb, P4 2.2 and a Matrox Parhelia.

Whenever I try running an intensive app (read here as game), my app drops me to the desktop. No error, just wham... desktop. I just rebuilt my machine from the ground up, installing only the neccessary software to eliminate that as a possibility.

I put SpeedFan on and have noticed a big jump in temps and I think that's the reason why it's crashing.

So...

1. Does anyone have any advice or has attempted to cool the parhelia?
    2. Same question but for your PC in general?
    3. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cha

I'm cooling my Parhelia passiv with the Zalman HP80A. Maybe you Powersupply isn't strong enough?
    System:
    P III-S 1.4@1.52
    512 MB SDR-Ram
    Gigabyte-6IEML
    Matrox Parhelia

Comment

350? Should be enough, right?

Comment

Perhaps the heatsink isn't making too good a contact with the GPU.

You may want to remove the heatsink and throw some thermal paste in between...
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

350 was enough of you bought it 2 years ago, there are lots of crappy powersupplies out there these days that claim to be 350 but when tested crap out at 250W max, or just literally burn up taking the rest of the hardware with it.

Comment

Hmm...

Did the thermal paste thing a few days ago. Dropped the temp a few degrees, but it still crashes.

The power supply is new, came w/ the case. It "appears" to be good, but how do I test it? Or where do I get a "Good" power supply?

Thanks!

Comment

What do the voltage readings from the motherboard look like?

Don't modify your Parhelia. If it does turn out to be a bad card, Matrox will easily replace it for you if you haven't voided the warranty.

Oh, damn, too late.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Didn't do the thermal paste on the vid card, so I'm cool there.

I'll have to look at the mb, but what about testing the actual powersupply unit?

Thanks!

Comment

The MB should have basic voltage monitoring. If you get the computer running under a load, and the voltage readings droop, it suggests a weak PSU.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Okay, dumb question. How can I monitor the voltage? In the Bios? Is there an app?

Thanks!

Comment

Spread the loveMotherboard Monitor (MBM) is a tool that will display information from the sensor chip on your motherboard in your Windows system tray. MBM supports a wide range of Chipsets & Sensor Chip combinations. MBM is compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and .NET. It took a little time but it finally […]

Comment

Unfortunately that site is down, don't know when it will be up. All the mirrors for the program eventually point to that site. Anyone know where I could get it or something similiar? Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaOConnor
                          Unfortunately that site is down, don't know when it will be up. All the mirrors for the program eventually point to that site. Anyone know where I could get it or something similiar? Thanks again for all your help!
                          Mirror from Alex Vankaam himself: (but I would still check it for viruses you never know )
                          Altijd verbonden met Ziggo. Met Internet, Televisie en Bellen beleef je thuis en onderweg het beste van tv en web.
                          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Alternatively, you can replace that crappy fan with a better 50mm fan, as done by MURCers including me. Doesn't void your warranty as long as you put the original fan back on before you RMA...
                            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by Gohan
                              I'm cooling my Parhelia passiv with the Zalman HP80A. Maybe you Powersupply isn't strong enough?
                              Hi Gohan,

Have you overclock your P. My GPU heatsink is same as you. I find my P is very unstable for speed over 220mhz while playing C & C Generals with full graphic detail.
                              ASUS A7M266-D, 2 x Athlon MP 2000+, Viking 1G PC2100 ECC Reg, LSI MegaRAID Elite 1600 SCSI RAID, 4 x Seagate Cheetah 15k 18.4G HDs RAID 0, Barracuda 7 ATA 200G HD, Matrox Parhelia 256M, Antec True Power 550W power supply, Swiftech & Zalman watercooling & Cooler Master ATC-410 SX-1 Aluminum Server Case

Comment

Working...
                              X