Best Sound Card for Video Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Sound Card for Video Editing

I want a decent sound card to go in my new system and wondered what you people would recommend?

So what should I get? Please post links.
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Both the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (Video Logic Sonic Fury in your parts)

Turtle Beach delivers a wide selection of industry leading, award-winning gaming headsets. Our sole mission is to help every player play their best - at every level in every game.

or the Hercules GameTheater XP

have proven to be excellent choices for editing, even with realtime boards. I've heard that the Video Logic Sonic Explosion is also quite good.

All of the above use a Cirrus Logic DSP, which uses very few system resources...especially when using DirectSound. I've seen numbers below 1% when playing DS on my Santa Cruz.

This is very important in that every cycle you can save for the video card pays off eventually, especially when doing realtime...be it with hardware like the Matrox RT.X10/100 & Canopus Storm cards or software realtime as done by MediaStudio Pro7 & Vegas Video4.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 February 2003, 07:42.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks Doc, that's very helpful.
      Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

I too can vote first hand for the TB Santa Cruz. Come to think of it, it was probably Doc's recommendation that inspired me, once upon a time.

I like the card very much. It is every bit the equal or superior to any of the Creative offerings, without all the chotchky. No bloated and buggy drivers, no useless bells and whistles.

One feature I really like is the Versa Jack. Much more convenient than I originally expected.

CEM
        System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

8)

Comment

Just noticed that VideoLogic are now called Pure Digital...

Anyway, I've got my eye on this:

What do you recon?

Comment

looks like a good choice. Kinda sounds like the Santa Cruz with a few additional features...

Definitely worth consideration. Couldn't find a price, however.

CEM
              System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

That's the DVD version to the Sonic Explosion card I mentioned. Yup....it uses the CL DSP and so should be a good choice.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

www.scan.co.uk prices it at £72.26 inc vat

Comment

For reference, the TB Santa Cruz can be had for about US$75.00 retail here in the US.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Note: the Video Logic card works best with the Santa Cruz drivers.
                        I’ve had problems with the Video Logic’s own drivers.
                        My card was sold as Video Logic but on the cards foil side there is marked Santa Cruz.
                        It IS a very nice audio card.
                        I will warm recommend it.

Fred H
                        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

You may also want to look at the MAudio Revolution, Terratec 6Fire DMX 24/96.....
                          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Do you have a link to manufacturers specs?

Comment

Yes, another recommendation for TB santa cruz!

Comment

Working...
                              X