XBOX vs PoS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBOX vs PoS2

I have posted this in TSB because strictly speaking i am just venting off some steam.

When I bought my XBOX I know that MS wouldn't let it fail. After all, MS have far larger pockets than Sony.

What pisses me off, is that after all these months, there are still loads of great games on the PS2 and there is no sign, that any of them are headed towards the XBOX.

Two great games that come to mind are the Tekken series and the Final Fantasy series....

Does anyone have similar thoughts? I cant help but feel that I’ve bought a turkey, albeit a technically superior one.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Well, I know we tend to blame Microsoft (or Canada - lame Southpark reference) for a lot of things, but if the game manufacturers have exclusive contracts with Sony, there is not much Microsoft can do about it. (well, they *could* pursuade the company to break contract, and offer more than the fine would be; but I think they'd rather simply try to make their own games...)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Or it could be that there are horrendus licencing fees
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Nah its just simple ecomomics....game developers can make more money with doing PS2 games then they can on Xbox games just because theres shitload more out there! Plus add in excuslives for whatever console is out there and that cuts down on the amount games for the Xbox (*cough* GTA III *Cough*).

I love my Xbox for what it does good....Sports games and racing games etc. I rather use my PC for stragty and FPS and Simulators. Then again a problem I have is that a 27in TV looks kinda small compaired to gaming on a 20in LCD @ 1600x1200. Time for a big screen TV
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I know... but there are certain types of games that i enjoy playing on a console. FF and beat'em-ups come for example.

These tend to play much, much better than on a PC
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Then why did you buy a PC to play them on?

You already own a PC, so why buy a baby PC to play games on?

I will never own an XBox. There are many reasons, but the most prominent ones are:

1. My hands aren't large enough to use the gigantic controllers. Let's face it, these controllers were designed to be comfortable for only one person - Andre the Giant. And sadly, he's dead.

2. If I wanted to play low-res versions of perfectly good PC games on my TV, I'd run a long-ass cable from my PC to my TV, turn the resolution down to 400x300, and STILL have a better gaming experience than on the XBox. Have you played Unreal for XBox? It's like UT2003... except that UT2003 is cool and Unreal for XBox is extra shitty.

3. Microsoft is only using the XBox as a stepping stone toward their master plan of you only have one "computer" in the house, in the living room. Frankly I find this concept as silly as their previous master plan, which was to have nobody have a real computer, just a "Network PC".

4. There aren't any games out for XBox that are really compelling to me. This might change in the near future. I'd kinda like to play Splinter Cell, despite the mixed reviews.

5. The hardware just ain't that great. Whoever thought that a dumbed-down PC would be a GOOD console gaming platform wasn't thinking. My Gamecube is about 1/10 the size of the XBox, and the games are better. The ATI chip provides superior TV output (and honestly, nobody is really hooking the XBox up to a monitor so who cares that you CAN?), a nice deflicker filter built in, and smoother graphics. The controller is nice and ergonomic, and the games play like... console games from Nintendo. That is to say smooth, with little or no load time (barring the new Turok, a stinker of a game on any platform).

There ARE some good games upcoming for the XBox, but yeah you kinda got a turkey - IMNSHO.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

LOL

I find the controllers comfortable and I am no 'All-Star Wrestler'!

I agree that the low resolutions take a bit of getting used to. I bought Splinter Cell (great game btw!). It looked so dire, that I had to return it and wait for the PC version. However, you have to admit that games like DOA3 do look amazing - it it has no discernable load time either!

Hardware aint that great?? The last time i checked, it was vastly superior to anything else on the market.

But I do take your point. With hindsight, I would have got a PoS2.

Comment

"Vastly superior?"

Well, we could debate ATI vs. nVidia all day long. But since MS has picked ATI for XBox2, that says something. And I don't think ANYONE will argue that ATI has superior TV output, always has, and probably always will.

Processors? Well, would you rather have a P3-700, or a dedicated RISC chip running at 300mhz? If you know anything about processor theory, you'd take the RISC chip.

Essentially, the XBox is a bunch of PC hardware jury-rigged to do something it wasn't designed to: run OSless games.

As for gameplay, I'm not just talking about low resolutions. I played UT for XBox. Same maps as UT2003, only...

1. Crappy laggy graphics.
                2. Voice communications that don't work - of the 8 people on the server I could hear only one other guy... sporadically.
                3. 8 people on a server. _8_. This is on maps designed for 30 players. And with 8 people on the server, it was so laggy that it was unplayable. Why bother?
                4. The network was down more than up, and at any given time it found about 4 games to play. Yikes! And HOW MANY copies of this game are running at any given time?

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Anyone wanna XBOX?????

Comment

Oh, don't let me get you down. You bought it, you've stuck with it this long, enjoy the upcoming spate of good games. They weren't ready for Christmas, but should be by summer. At least you'll get a few guaranteed awesome titles from Rare.

- Gurm

Comment

Hehe, to be honest I was only allowed to buy it for its use as a DVD player.

Comment

Here's a nice Xbox replacement, for those that want a computer hooked up to a TV:

Too bad it costs so much.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I bought the XBOX for the continuation of the Dead or Alive Series. And I'm happy (And why not? ). I'm not too happy with "3D Shooters", or the like, as I get motion sickness (Sucks, but that's life), so I'm fine with just the games I can play without getting sick 15 minutes into it.

What do I have to rant about about the XBOX? Eh... Where's DOAXBV in the UK?

J1NG
                          Happy owner of XBOX, but that's because he doesn't expect a lot from it. Just the DOA Series.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            Here's a nice Xbox replacement, for those that want a computer hooked up to a TV:

Too bad it costs so much.

Jammrock
                            that one makes me sick just looking at it
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              3. Microsoft is only using the XBox as a stepping stone toward their master plan of you only have one "computer" in the house, in the living room. Frankly I find this concept as silly as their previous master plan, which was to have nobody have a real computer, just a "Network PC".

- Gurm
                              how about there idea of nobody needs internet?
                              Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                              X