Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Matrox's next card going to be better for games. . .or have they quit on gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Matrox's next card going to be better for games. . .or have they quit on gaming?

Everyone is saying that they are "leaving" the gaming community. Is this for certain? Meaning that their new card won't run games better than the P? I wonder if they can survive doing this. The others are catching up with good dualhead support and 2d display.
    My "Baby": Shuttle SS51G, P4@2.26 Ghz 533 FSB, 80 GB Western Digital Caviar "Special Edition" Hard Drive 7,200 RPM w/8 MB Cache, 512 MB Corsair PC2700 with Heat Spreaders, Pioneer DVD Drive (w/sexy slot load ), and of course a Matrox Parhelia Retail Vid Card

Historically, Matrox will introduce a chip, and the next several cards will be scaled down-versions of the original (Millennium>Mystique, G200>G250, G400>G450>G550).

They have never been overly-concerned with games.

I personally would expect the next couple of cards they release to be scaled-down versions of Parhelia. I think the original Parhelia is the best gaming card we will see from M for a while...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

That is interesting, didn't notice they did that. Oh well, it'll just let me save up more money. Lol. And when the next gaming card does come out it'll be a large performance jump. I just hope it doesn't take *years*.
      My "Baby": Shuttle SS51G, P4@2.26 Ghz 533 FSB, 80 GB Western Digital Caviar "Special Edition" Hard Drive 7,200 RPM w/8 MB Cache, 512 MB Corsair PC2700 with Heat Spreaders, Pioneer DVD Drive (w/sexy slot load ), and of course a Matrox Parhelia Retail Vid Card

Comment

It will be out Soon™
        (Translation buy a cryo tube and have yourself frozen )
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The rumours of Matrox leaving gaming come and go constantly. Some people consider they've never been a gaming company, despite like G400 and Parhelia being market leading or close to the leaders. Matrox just tend to be the best all rounders, especially since the G400 series - DualHead really made them top for me
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Matrox's next card, will be delivered by the tooth fairy.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

scaled down parhelia? thats gonna be one hell of a killer card.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Well, it will be interesting. Business/OEMs lapped up the G200s and G450s as cheap but good quality solutions. Are they going to pay $150 for a less-than-desirable 64MB Parhelia?
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Hell, I'm thankful for the Parhelia even though it didn't perform like many of us hoped it would. Surround gaming is still pretty impressive to me and I just hope support for the feature becomes commonplace.

The only regret I have is that I don't have bigger monitors ... yet.

Ah, and I remember my Mystique fondly. 16K colors in Tomb Raider ... in DOS 6.2, perfectly shaded legs of Lara Croft ... damn, that was cool as hell! NOBODY ELSE COULD DO IT!
                  Main PC
                  Athlon XP 2500+ | GA-7N400-L | 1.0GB PC3200 | Radeon 9800XT & 9000 | SoundBlaster Audigy | TRIPLE 17" NEC 1760Vs!

Home Theater PC
                  AthlonXP 2500+ | Chaintech 7NIL1 | 1024MB PC2700 | RADEON 9700 | SoundBlaster Audigy | Coolermaster ATC-610 HTPC Case | 61" Sony TV

Comment

well who knows... it can be a jump like the G200 to the G400.

P2 is taped out

Comment

P2 is nowhere near seeing the light of day.
                      Before that happens, we will see SunDog and SunLite (scaled-down versions of Parhelia), then the 8x capable Parhelia.
                      It will be a long while before we see anything significantly better than P for gaming from Matrox...
                      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Well... that is if we will ever see P2...

Comment

Kruzin, what do you mean by "scaled down"? In what way/ways? No triple monitor support? No FAA support?

Comment

Who knows.
                            We won't find out for sure until M makes an official announcement...
                            But rest assured, it will be less than what P currently is...

Comment

Matrox Parhelia DUAL DVI 64mb with compostite tv output/ input Sounds about right, £200?

Comment

Working...
                              X