Lazy CPU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy CPU!

Noticed something strange on my PC: The CPU-utilization doesnt reach 100 percent. The PC (it actually belongs to my dad) always seemed a little slow compared to similar PC's (Athlon XP 1800+, KT266A, 512 DDR), and when I looked into the task manager today, CPU usage is only between 35 and 60 percent, the rest seems to be reserved for the idle-process (if thats how you translate it), although im encoding to divx at the moment.

I do not have any programs like cpu-idle installed, so what might be causing that behaviour?
    Last edited by Topha; 8 February 2003, 14:34.

Check for spyware with Adaware6...
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Its not spyware, at least none that adaware 6 with latest reference file can detect. Did a virus scan as well, nothing.

Comment

Well cpu usage isn't going to be around 100% unless you're actually running something intensive that needs that much time. Did you check task manager while something like a game was running? Or was the system just doing backgruond stuff like web browsing etc?

Comment

"Well cpu usage isn't going to be around 100% unless you're actually running something intensive that needs that much time."

Thanks, i know that

As it says in my first post, im encoding a divx movie, which is quite intensive for the cpu. After a restart it works at 100 percent again, still dont know why it didnt before though. The weird thing was, that the missing 50-30 percent werent used by another tasked, they were listed as idle.

Comment

Something other than the cpu is the bottleneck in your Divx encoding - could be hard drive or memory.

If you install a distributed computing project on their I bet it will show 0% cpu time for the idle process.

Comment

I've occasionally seen NT OSes get confused as to how fast the processor is.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

after a defrag and a restart its working, but the HD wasnt that fragmented. strange

Comment

So now it hits 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                    So now it hits 100%?
                    yep

Comment

Working...
                    X