• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Week: photos show shuttle wing damage

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Interresting.
    One Question from take off when theres a risk of damage to the heat shield can they abort???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If there is a problem at launch they can abort in one of the following modes;

Abort To Orbit (ATO)

This happend on a 1985 Challenger mission when one of its main engines failed during launch. The orbit wasn't what they expected, but high enough to carry out the remainder of the mission.

Abort Once Around (AOA)

Consists of a single orbit followed by a landing at Edwards or Kennedy.

Transoceanic Abort Landing (TAL)

No orbit with a landing in Moron, Spain; Dakar, Senegal or Ben Guerur, Morocco....depending on the trajectory achieved.

Return To Launch Site (RTLS)

This has to be done after the solid rocket boosters have separated but with the main tank still attached most of the way back. The exact timing of the trajectory deviation would depend on the failure mode. Most trajectories would result in a landing back at Kennedy about 25 minutes after liftoff after flying to an altitude of ~400,000 feet and ~400 miles downrange.

Once in orbit and on the way down after a de-orbit burn they are unpowered and totally comitted. No way out.

Fact is that a meteorite or space junk impact during early re-entry is looking more likely as the reason for Columbia's failure, which means there was nothing that could have been done.

BTW: here is one of the USAF ground camera images made about 1 minute before Columbia broke up. Note the irregular shape of the left wings leading edge (red arrow);

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 February 2003, 20:06.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

wow interesting find doc!

Comment

Working...
        X