Which Intel CPU to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Intel CPU to get?

After ages and ages of shopping around and changing my mind again and again, I decided to switch from AMD to Intel. I'm currently (still) running a Duron 800 and I'm not THAT powerhungry, so anything in the 1.5 to 2.0 GHz will suit me just fine!

But... I checked the prices and what I see is that the Willamette CPU's cost like next to nothing. So my question is, is the P4 Northwood that much better/faster that it's worth spending the extra 100-120$ ?

And also... which one generates less heat (if there is any difference)? And which one can actually handle running at the highest temp?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Umm, why switch to Intel?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Guess you're one of those kind of people that answer a question with a question huh!?

Well actually I'm seriously considering getting a Shuttle barebone system this time. I'm growing more and more tired of the big cases. And with the current options, the P4 Shuttle systems seem like the better option.

And it's gonna be a real small case, so that's why I was asking about the heat. I don't suppose any of the hardcore hardware guys around here have a Shuttle PC right!?
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Yeah, why?

The XP2100+ offers far more value than any intel chip, and it's very fast! Shall I mention that the motherboards are cheaper too?

Comment

Yeah but his point about the Uber-tiny systems and the P4's is well taken. I've seen REALLY small systems with nice heat dispersion units for a P4... that would NEVER work with an Athlon. They're just too hot.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Oh he must have posted it at the same time as me, didn't see his post.

Point taken.

Comment

Yes the northwood is that much bether and faster! My personal favorite is the 1.8a! 99.9% of them will clock to 2.4GHz (133MHz fsb) with the default HS without you having to raise the voltage!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Not that P4s are any cooler these days. They're running at 70-80W as well. But the smaller procs in the Shuttle systems are col.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The newest shuttle uses the nForce2 chipset, so you can get that and an Athlon. Not sure how the heat is in those.

I've decided to switch to a couple specialized, small computers instead of my big general one too.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

none
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Prices

Chris, I think you are comparing Celeron Willamettes to P4 Northwoods.
                      The P4 Northwoods are cheaper than the Willamettes.

Eg.
                      Celeron 1.8GHz Willamette In-A-Box Socket 478 / 128KB / FSB 400MHz 634 kr.
                      Pentium4 1.8GHz In-a-Box Socket 478 / 256KB / FSB 400MHz 1.616 kr.
                      Pentium4 Northwood 1.8GHz In-a-Box Socket 478 / 512KB / FSB 400MHz 1.299 kr.

Celeron 2.0GHz Willamette In-A-Box Socket 478 / 128KB / FSB 400MHz 746 kr.
                      Pentium4 2.0GHz In-a-Box Socket 478 / 256KB / FSB 400MHz 1.662 kr.
                      Pentium4 Northwood 2.0GHz In-a-Box Socket 478 / 512KB / FSB 400MHz 1.473 kr.

Kim
                      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Willamete has 256k of cache and it plain sucks compared to Northwood.

Celeron is done on a lower process, but it has even less cache (128k) and it plain sucks except for video encoding.

Northwood is the way to go with intel.

1.8As overclock to 2.4 and lot's of 2.0s will hit 2.66

Make sure you get 845PE or GE chipset motherboard, which supports hyperthreading CPUs and future CPUs above 3.06GHz.

Comment

It's fairly easy to get hold of a Tbred 1800+. They shouldn't run that hot.

Comment

Re: Prices

Originally posted by Sisyfos
                            Chris, I think you are comparing Celeron Willamettes to P4 Northwoods.
                            The P4 Northwoods are cheaper than the Willamettes.

Ahh I now see the error of my ways You're right, I was comparing Celerons to P4's. Ok the price difference makes a lot more sense now.

And Utwig.... the shuttle I'm looking at does in fact have an 845GE chipset, so I should be good for another CPU upgrade on that same system once the 2 GHz gets to slow for even me.... in 3 years or so

Comment

Willamettes is not necessary more expensive than Northwoods.
                              Anyway, I'd recommend Northwood by heart.

1. Less power consumption
                              2. Less heat
                              3. Faster (much faster in games)
                              4. Overclockability

If I have a chance I'd buy a 1.8a and sell my 1.9.

Oh just in case you don't know, almost all Celeron 2.0g can hit 3.0g with stock cooling and no voltage increase
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X