• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.000 rpm ide drive

About time.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Just read about it myself. I'm impressed they finally decided it was time to make a drive that actually makes SATA look good!

Maybe something I'll buy in the future.

Comment

About time.
      No doubt. Want to bet that if it weren't for market saturation and the bloody cheap and near 0 profit margins, they would have had this two years ago at least?
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I don't understand why 10000rpm drives haven't been introduced to IDE before. It's been on SCSI disks for quite some time! Two off my SCSI drives opterates at 15000rpm, so it's about time we get a 10000rpm IDE

Comment

Noise?

I'm willing to bet that's a major factor.

It is for me.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Wouldn't a 10k rpm IDE drive dig into the scsi sales a bit?
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Especially with a 5 year warranty. This is a drive that's gonna carry a hefty price tag.

Comment

What about heat issues ?

I doubt a lot of "normal" cases provide adequate cooling for harddisks...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If the page ever loads I'll read the article...

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You're not missing much Jammrock. It just says WD are going to introduce a 10K RPM drive, with 8MB cache and fluid bearings, on Feb. 11th. That's about it.
                    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

What about... hmm... ATA166? There is still a year or so to go before SATA for general public.
                      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

About DAMN time...i've been saying this for years.

Part of the reason I hear that 10K IDE drives weren't out YEARS ago was because "SCSI drives are built better" and can withandle the RPM. Dunno how true that is.

Just when I get my 200G drive, they come out w/ something better. :-)

Comment

5 year warranties...nice
                          Meet Jasmine.
                          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Expect it to be lower capacity than existing 7200RPM drives though. They have to make the platters smaller to spin them that fast. I think 10K drives have 2.5" platters and 15K drives are 2.0".
                            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

WyWyWyWy, SATA should be standard in systems by year end at latest.

Intel is gonna be shipping their chipsets that have integrated support for SATA (no additional controllers required) next quarter and well... god only knows about AMD... last i checked none of the initial run Hammer chipsets were to natively support SATA, and i don't believe many companies had support for native SATA support in their next gen K7 chipsets cause they were due to be phased out. there will probably be K7/Opteron chipsets supporting SATA in Q3 of this year, but that might be a little too optimistic...

Comment

Working...
                              X