GeForce FX Canned already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce FX Canned already?

According to the rumour, posted at x-3DFX, Nvidia is canning the GeForce FX and has told its foundry, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp (TSMC), to stop when 100,000 NV30 are produced.

Probably the usual Inquirer BS.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I can hear the brokers now.. sell sell sell!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I found the following post on the forum the Inquirer linked to most amusing

"Until I get a link to a respectable news source, this is about as truthful as a report from the Inquirer...."
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Or the Register.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

gonna do wonders for their stock if that rumor runs rampet...lol
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

LOL.

Does "wonders" mean "driven into the floor"?

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

GeForce Booting
                Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

Weee! Here we go again....
                  Let me gues the next.... nVidia is leaving the video card market, and launches a new brand og vacum cleaners to build into the computer

Comment

Originally posted by THE_Editor
                    GeForce Booting
                    My Ears! OMG thats frickin horrible
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I think the reason TSMC will stop is probably because nV has an updated core of GFFX that runs more efficient. (i.e. faster at lower clockspeed = less heat / die shrink to 0.09(?)). If they don't sell the GFFX in this month ppl will probably start to say nV30 is a vapourware hehe (oh yea and probably the big nV stock shareholders made the company to rush the chip out to the marketplace to compete with ATi).

It looks like ATI is the winner here. The NV30 looks a bit like the Parhelia story (i.e. medicore performace (I mean Clock-to-clock comparison) (i am not saying Parhelia is bad/madicore).

P.S. Who fabs the ATI chips anyways? Is it TSMC or UMC?

edit: Probably I am slow but I just noticed nV has release GF4 Ti4800 and Ti4800 SE (SE I guess it means special edition and probably w/slower memory + core speed) ahh... the market BS

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                        I think the reason TSMC will stop is probably because nV has an updated core of GFFX that runs more efficient. (i.e. faster at lower clockspeed = less heat / die shrink to 0.09(?)).
                        If they're having trouble getting the heat off the chip now, a die shrink is NOT going to help that.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                          edit: Probably I am slow but I just noticed nV has release GF4 Ti4800 and Ti4800 SE (SE I guess it means special edition and probably w/slower memory + core speed) ahh... the market BS
                          I haven't really looked into it, since I don't need / want another GF4 card, but if I remember correctly from news pages I've seen around the web:

Ti4800 = Ti4200 + 8x
                          Ti4800SE = Ti4600 + 8x
                          Ti4400 is no more..
                          "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                          Gainward Ti4600
                          AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Here in europe the Ti4800 is named Ti4200-8x and the SE version is just a plain Ti4800. A bit less confusing but still strange!

Comment

The FX is late, the ATi is faster bang ofr buck.
                              Nvidia want to concentrate on beating the R350, with the NV35.
                              And a lot better drivers...optimised better.
                              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
                              X