Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FlameThrower - Hardware/Software Rants, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlameThrower - Hardware/Software Rants, etc.

Ok folks, I'm announcing the creation of a new site.

As you all know, lately I've been "captain bad software" - going through dozens of programs at the speed of ... well, roughly 48x to be honest.

And I've discovered that clear across the board, there's some spectacularly BAD software out there right now, masquerading as "industry leading".

I imagine there's lots of bad hardware as well.

So... an idea that JW, Damian (Claymonkey), Jammrock and I had a year ago has re-surfaced.

I'm opening up the following site:

There's nothing there now, don't bother looking. But here's what we intend to have (I've already recruited a couple people - dZeus and Technoid to start):

1. Game reviews - with a twist.
    Let's face it. Many games are released nowadays that get GLOWING reviews - both from magazines and so-called "gamer sites". And they suck. Or they MIGHT be good - if they ran. You all know the games I'm talking about. The "why God why did they release this 3 months before it was done" games. The ones that they OUGHT to send you a new free CD of the REAL game when it's finally done, only they don't. The ones that erase your hard drive when you try to uninstall them (Pool of Radiance, anyone?). THOSE games. We're going to review from a usability/playability/compatibility/bugginess standpoint. Pool of Radiance might have been the best game in the world, but it got an F-- out of the box due to wiping your hard drive. On the other hand, there are GREAT games, that run right out of the box quite perfectly. They're few and far between, but they do exist.

2. Bad Game Tracking List.
    Neverwinter Nights, around patch 1.21, introduced a new "feature". It was the "if you have a cd burner or any cd burning software installed on your machine, your legal purchased copy of NWN won't run any more, you damn dirty pirate!" feature. It made a lot of people mad. There was a coverup. We want to EXPOSE said problems. We're gonna maintain a growing list of games that have show-stopping bugs or compatibility problems. Maybe some publicity will cause these companies to FIX these problems. It took 1.5 MONTHS for Bioware to decide to drop SecuROM like a hot rock due to pressure on their own PRIVATE forum. Publicity could do that in a week flat. And of course we'll provide recognition to companies that are dedicated to fixing these problems - by giving them the glowing review they DO deserve, once the bugs are fixed!

3. Shootouts.
    You've all read my shortened Virus Scanner shootout. Well, I've done this for every major category of software in the past couple months - tried 'em, hated most of 'em, kept one. We're gonna write it all up, and keep it up to date.

4. Hardware reviews - again, the twist.
    How many times have you seen HP scanners topping the list of scanners? Nobody mentions that their scanning software essentially renders them unusable. Well, we're going to. And when a piece of hardware comes out that is GREAT, with GREAT drivers - we're gonna mention THAT, too. This is a two-edged sword, folks. Cuts both ways.

5. More stuff I've forgotten.
    I can't remember everything we wanted to have in there, but ... there will be a lot of it. And we're always open to suggestions.

----------------------------

Ok, so why am I telling all of you this? Well, my plate is pretty full. Between software/web development, taking care of Logan, looking for a full-time job, and being MURC's resident curmudgeon, I won't be able to do all of this alone. Plus we'll need a lot of people to actually test hardware, since at first we won't be getting any sent to us - might NEVER get any sent to us, we're not going to be popular with manufacturers and vendors, methinks.

So if you want to help, think this is a good idea, and can contribute anything at all - even just a little bit of time to sort through stuff on occasion... lemme know.

You know how to reach me.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Sounds good. Be glad to help with what I have.

Now I'll drop a lighted match into the petrol tank ....

Is there going to be a section for Microsoft criticism Gurm?

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Sure. But Linux criticism would get equal time. And from the "usability/compatibility" standpoint, there's a LOT more to criticise about Linux.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

The "naggin on XP" section is already mine
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

We're in channel #theflamethrower

On the MURC chat server.

- Gurm

Comment

Sweet. If you need extra writers, I used to write for www.nikeotronik.com and www.10100.org (when they were alive and strong). Some of my reviews might still be up there somewhere.

Comment

Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Hehehe ... I should write an article to Microsoft, thanking them for my job security!

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I like the idea !
                  If you were to accept non-frequent writers, I'd be glad to submit things (nagging about the lack of quality control is one of my specialities ; I actually sold my <3 year old car because of continueing issues ! )

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Sounds good!

I'm happy to give a hand if needed (although I doubt it will be needed).

Comment

I could write some linux/bsd criticism too Don't think that just because I like it I think it is perfect :P
                      -Slougi

Comment

Will you accept random submissions from anyone? I don't think I'd be a regular contributor, but I can certainly throw opinions at you once in a while.

I get to see this stuff from two perspectives too, since I'm both an avid home user/gamer, and I also do enterprise level stuff (mostly server side with W2K/Active Directory, but some desktop as well) at a company with > 40,000 employees.

For example, I've heard that McAfee sucks donkey in a home user perspective, but in a remotely managed environment, the corporate version is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

so I take it that the Corporate edition does NOT make your PC as stable as an elephant standing on 4 bowling balls?

Comment

Nope. It can crash itself once in a while on very large files (like something big in a self extracting archive), but when it goes down, the rest of the system keeps on trucking.
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Cool can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X