Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove Linux?

Hi

I want to temporarily remove linux from my system. At the moment I am using the lilo bootmanager, so I wonder how to do it. Will the bootmanager still work when I just delete the partition linux is installed on?
    Do I have to restore the originial windows xp bootloader, and if yes, how do i do that?

LILO will likely fail once you delete the Linux partition(s) and use them for other things, so you'll need to reinstall the XP bootloader. I don't know how to do that (it used to be fdisk /mbr, but I think it's changed).
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Thanks, i think thats still it. Did it a while back, but i just couldnt remember.

Comment

Hehe

Comment

Well, i just deleted the partition, and the lilo bootmanager is still there.

Doesnt bother me, since im gonna install linux again in a few weeks, no problems so far

Comment

howdy.
            i don't know what disto you're using, but just boot from the install cd and press your f1 key. that will bring up options. you can choose to remove the bootloader.

Comment

Boot off of the Windows XP CD, go into the recovery console, and type "fixmbr". think that works.

edit: its either that or "fixboot". or both. i honestly don't remember right now cause its late.
              Last edited by Roark; 6 February 2003, 00:22.

Comment

Topha, you need to remove LILO. Currently it's reading from where your Linux partition used to be, and once you overwrite that part of your drive with something else, LILO is going to screw up. I'd follow Roark's advice, it sounds like exactly what you need to do.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

fixmbr will do it. Just removed linux a couple days ago. I'll put it back on once I get mandrake 9.1
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

well, it screwed up my computer

but it wasnt the bootmanager, it was something else. It booted to the welcome screen of winXP, and then it gave me all kinds of error messages, that some files couldnt be saved, and i should choose another place to save them to. but that was all on drive c:, and after a few reboots with the linux partition long gone, so im not sure what happened.

luckily i was able to save all important data

Comment

May be you need to change boot.ini?
                      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                      X