Quicktime... more like SLOWtime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicktime... more like SLOWtime.

Has anyone noticed that Quicktime is going the route of Realplayer?

I'm running the latest version (6.02 last I checked) and it's TERRIBLE.

Every video skips when you open it. The player is bulky and ugly, and doesn't redraw properly. Sometimes it flickers terribly for no reason...

Forget spooling from CD. I can watch WMP from CD, or AVI, or MPEG, or even high-bitrate MPEG2. But forget Quicktime. It'll just stutter and skip.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE NOWADAYS?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

QT has always sucked choad, and continues to. and it's 3x bigger than a comparably compressed DivX5 movie. Only thing it has going for it is that it's streamable. WMV isn't great, but i'd take it over QT anyday. Both are way aheaad of realplayer.

Comment

Bleh.

I don't suppose there's a hacker group out there that makes a nice .mov codec for media player? I seem to recall that earlier versions of quicktime installed a codec... or something like that.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yeah, I remember being able to play Quicktime Files with WMP 5&6...I think QT 2 was the last one that had that function, probably one of the reasons stuff like old encyclopedias used that and only that for their internal videos.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

quicktime is only the container format, much like avi and mpg container formats.

I think the most popular encoding format for the quicktime container is Sorensen MPEG4 nowadays, which is an iso mpeg4 implementation, so you should be able to decode it with every iso mpeg4 capable decoder (divx 5, xvid, ffmpeg?). Main problem is how to find a directshow demuxer for the quicktime container format I guess...

Comment

Realplayer is far better than QT anymore... and that's saying a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
              quicktime is only the container format, much like avi and mpg container formats.

I think the most popular encoding format for the quicktime container is Sorensen MPEG4 nowadays, which is an iso mpeg4 implementation, so you should be able to decode it with every iso mpeg4 capable decoder (divx 5, xvid, ffmpeg?). Main problem is how to find a directshow demuxer for the quicktime container format I guess...
              Unfortunately, not true. Apple has exclusive rights to Sorensen, and as hard as I try, I can't get other programs to open those files correctly.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There is a VERY old Sorensen decoder available, but it's so out of date as to be useless.

- Gurm

Comment

Know anyone who's good at reverse enginieering codecs?
                  :-)

Comment

Not offhand, no.

And you'd think this would have been done by now... virtually every movie trailer in existence is done up in Quicktime.

MPEG4 was hacked the minute MS introduced it.

- Gurm

Comment

If you run linuk, you can use Mplayer, but this still requires the sorenson DLLs. Those who have attempted to reverse engineer the codec have been somehow blocked by apple.

Comment

Damn apple. Why do people even ENCODE stuff in .mov? That's half the problem right there.

Comment

Exclusive contracts.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                          X