Unreal 2 - Worst game of 2003?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal 2 - Worst game of 2003?

Edit: I didn't put this in Matrox gaming because I no longer play games on a Matrox card. Additionally, I wouldn't even want to BEGIN to play this game on a Parhelia, noting how horribly it runs on Radeons and GeForces.

Well, I know it's very new, but I just thought I'd comment on this overrated, overhyped piece of dog shit.

-----------------

This is possibly the worst game ever made. It is made worse by the fact that everyone thought it wouldn't suck.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

Edit: In every instance, I'm comparing this to either its multiplayer counterpart Unreal Tournament 2003 or to Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Medal of Honor... basically recent Quake3 engine games.

Installation. There is no option to NOT put 1.5 gigs on your system. I know, hard drives are big nowadays. But frankly, CD drives are fast, and it's irksome. Oh well.

The game uses SecuROM. In fact, it installs a tech support wizard for SecuROM. Why? Because recent versions of SecuROM are known to lock you out of your game if you DARE to have cd burning software or even a CD burner installed in your machine. Needless to say I cracked the game the minute it was installed. Sony can keep their degenerate "nazi protection" schemes away from my PC, thank you very much.

The game opens with a queer screen saver. Some might find this amusing or cute. I find it stupid. Next, we're taken to an options screen. The options screen is clearly broken, but let's not delve TOO deeply into that. Suffice it to say that after about half an hour of juggling keys, I managed to get the controls set up to my liking. On MOST FPS games this takes 30 seconds, not 30 minutes.

Then the game opens ... with a loading screen. Yes, just when you thought that the disc cache had finally caught on... this game loads between rooms, between cutscenes (which can't be skipped) and between everything. And loading takes a LONG time. On my machine it can take a full minute between a cutscene and a level... or between a cutscene and a cutscene!

Saving takes an equally long time. "Quicksave" takes about 30 seconds. Compare this to Return to Castle Wolfenstein, where saving is instantaneous and loading (once the engine is initialized) takes about 2 seconds.

So right away I'm pretty convinced that this game is not going to impress me. But hey, I'm waiting to be given a gun - that's what Unreal is all about, yeah?

-------------------

Graphics:

Well, on my Athlon XP 1800+, with a half gig of DDR 2700, an 80gb HDD, a Radeon 8500 clocked up to 275/275, and an Audigy2... it sucks. Had to drop to 800x600, and turn everything down, and it STILL lagged. Can't enable vsync, since oftentimes I'm only getting about 20fps. Turned all the quality sliders to medium or off.

With everything turned up, the game was pretty. But only in-level. The cutscenes are TERRIBLE. Especially laughable are the scenes of a shuttlecraft (total of 8 polygons) landing on a planet (which is lushly rendered at the bleeding edge of what a graphics card can do nowadays). Why couldn't they apply the same lighting and effects to the shuttlecraft? As it is, it looks totally out-of-place.

Edit: Did I mention that the cutscenes, even at 800x600 with no effects... jerk and lag a lot? Yeah, this is a TOP-NOTCH graphics engine. (And yes, that was SARCASM.)

Sound:

The sound is quite good. Especially with environmental effects. I genuinely got creeped out at times. The voice actors are horrific, but that's not unusual in this genre of game.

Gameplay:

Ok, this is where this game goes from crap to festering pile of crap. Let's begin, shall we?

Your running speed is somewhere between "cold molasses" and "dead crawl". I know you're supposed to be wearing power armor, but everyone ELSE in the game can move faster than you, and YOU'RE the indestructible marine, yeah? (Colonial Authority Marshal, whatever). I mean, the training geek, who is a tech and a wuss... can run circles around you. You're just downright slow... except when jumping. When you jump, you move at lightspeed.

Heaven forbid you press the "walk" key. Why would you want to walk, when running is slower than most fps games' slowest walk speed? Pressing the "walk" key guarantees that you will never move from the spot you're in.

Weapons... the standard blaster is useless. I know it's kind of SUPPOSED to be useless, but it's REALLY useless. You can't aim it, because it travels so slow that you won't hit whatever you were aiming at. Easily dodged by even the slowest aliens... except that all the aliens move at Warp Factor 10.

The rifle is good. You'll use it exclusively. It eats ammo, but it's good.

The grenade launcher is... ok. Hurts you more than the enemies.

The shock lance, which the enemies use to utterly RAPE you, is useless. Seems like it might be good, but it isn't.

Levels:

Well, the level design might be good, it's hard to tell at 800x600, detail at the lowest, and with all the dying and doors conveniently welded shut so you can only go one way, and the dying, and the aliens that appear out of nowhere right behind you even though you cleared out the area and came in the only door... did I mention the dying? On the standard level this game is impossible. You move at 2mph, the enemies move at Mach 12, your weapons are inadequate at best, and when you die it takes a good 5 minutes to start the level from your last save point.

Enemies:

The enemies ... well I only found one kind of enemy. The miners refer to them as "damn space monkeys". They sound like hyenas or wolves or something. They're blue and grey. They're impossible to see because they move at Mach 10, and after you kill them you realize that they are a series of polygons.

I mean, honestly... UT2003 (same engine, they claim) has AWESOME character models, that move and pose and bend and have an ultra-realistic skeletal system. Unreal 2, on the other hand, has humanoid models straight out of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight (you remember that, yeah? ANCIENT game? Circa 1995?) and alien models straight out of... well... I don't have insults enough for these aliens. They're just plain ugly. About 8 polys each. Yuk.

--------------------

Overall, I give this game three thumbs down. I know I only have two thumbs. Cope. If you bought it, return it NOW, get your money back before it's too late. If you pirated it, just delete the damn thing. I don't know what happened to Epic. Unreal Tournament 2003 was great, but then Unreal Tourney for XBOX came out. That's the SECOND shittiest game ever, don't even get me started on it... and now this.

- Gurm
    Last edited by Gurm; 4 February 2003, 08:05.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

U said it brother! Add to this some horrible sound and stability bugs with Audigy1 cards, a completely cheesy story and 2, not 1.5GB of HDD space occupied....I will never buy this piece'o'shit and quite frankly I just want to get past the final big-ass monster so that I can recuperate 2GB of currently wasted HDD space. Oh, I forgot to mention, on the system in my sig it sucks in 1024 with AA and max details-20 fps or so average. Enough to play with though, if it didn't throw me out of the game every once in a while because of the sound card
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Hmmm... interesting. There haven't been that many "big" PC releases for a while. Now 2 that were hyped big time for months and months (possibly years) (and both used recent unreal engine builds) are Splinter Cell and Unreal 2. Neither have been particularly well received.

One other game has been hyped by the industry at large to a similar level - Doom 3.

Doesn't bode too well for gameplay does it?
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Doom3 has serious potential. Sure the alpha leak was a hog, but those of us that remember the alphas for Doom, Quake, and Quake2 remember that THOSE were unplayable hogs as well.

The thing with id is that they have a tendency to do development for a target that doesn't exist... and then tone it down for release. Seems like the Unreal2 people targeted something that doesn't exist, then forgot to tune it for real machines.

I personally think they were under real strain to get it out on time, whereas id just says "ready when it's ready" and ignores deadlines.

That's my $0.02. But even that doesn't explain the HORRIFIC gameplay.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Usually if Gurm gets so upset about sth. it should be THE BEST THING EVER MADE BY MEN! Can today be actually the day on which Gurm gets rightfully upset about sth ?

Slow? Yes. Horribly slow! I've seen it on a 1Ghz Athlon/8500 and at 800x600 FPS dropped to 5 in some parts, averaging about 25FPS. All with medium detail. I dropped the detail all down to 3DFX VOODOO 1 quality but it was still very slow. Seems very CPU bound to me.

The game itself is not so bad. The station is very boring, and the polygon tits dont make up for it. The missions on the planet start slowly but eventually the gameplay gets better when more different enemies show up and you get yourself more weapons. The flamethrower looks nice.

I gotta agree on the walk/run thing. Running is actually slower than walking in other games. The game is not so hard though, you got plenty of armor/health.

Just for kicks i cranked up everything to MAX at 1280x1024, and it looked great. Needless to say the speed couldn't even rival a slideshow. It should rock on a P4 3GHz GFFX though
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

the aliens that appear out of nowhere
            Gurm, what's your point here?!

Comment

It should rock on a P4 3GHz GFFX though
              Not really. I've talked to people with overclocked 2.6ghz machines with Radeon 9700's (faster than a GFFX) and it STILL sucks.

- Gurm
              Last edited by Gurm; 4 February 2003, 09:15.

Comment

It would likely run better on a R9700pro than on a GFFX.

Thanks, Gurm...i'll NOT play that now. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                  Gurm, what's your point here?!
                  I don't know why you're mad. I'll explain.

In modern games, they're shooting for realism. Ever since early FPS's like Wolfenstein 3D, enemies have to come from SOMEWHERE. Now, in Doom they often warped in when you hit a trigger. But more modern games are shooting for realism.

Hence, when you've completely cleared an area, enemies should not just APPEAR. They may have been inside a hidden room, but these guys just BOOM! appeared running through a door. That doesn't happen in modern games, and is a big no-no.

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm, do you know what "" means?

Oh well...guess you didn't noticed...my fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------

the aliens that appear out of Nowhere
                    Gurm, what's your point here?! ()

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's better?
                    Last edited by Nowhere; 4 February 2003, 09:49.

Comment

Wow, it's like Old Man Murray.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Good one Nowhere!

Comment

UT2003 seems fairly buggy as well. Judging by the forums on the site.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I don't like UT2003. It also gives me the feeling "shooting and jumping -> warp speed", "running and walking -> slooow".

And it seems that I won't like U2.

What happened to Unreal ...the first part is so good...

Comment

I haven't had a chance to try out U2 yet, so I won't agree or disagree (but the majority of what I've read agrees with Gurm's review, possibly a bit less vehement about it though).

As far as UT2003 goes- it's a much better game. The movement in the game for shooting / jumping is fast for a purpose, and likewise the walk movements are slow for a purpose. Other players can hear you running when you move normally, while walking is silent (so is the duck-walking crouching movement). And the game's main purpose is running / jumping / shooting / killing the other guy, so speed is a pretty important thing, not to mention that the speed itself adds to the challenge (headshots are a bit harder on a quickly moving target than someone that's creeping around ).

Anyway Gurm, in your opinion I should wait until I have a 5Ghz processor and an R400 / nv40 to try this game out?
                              "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                              Gainward Ti4600
                              AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Working...
                              X