About to go broadband - tips please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to go broadband - tips please!

Just signed up to go broadband, so should be set to go late this week/early next.

Hardware on order, BT primed, ISP ready...

Now... I need to know what else to do. Please treat me as a complete layman here...

Firewall: I guess I need a software one. Recommendations? I prefer free to download and easy to set up.

Anything else? I have only ever used 56K dialup from home before.

Running W2K SP3 btw.

As I am going for a wires-only service, what potential problems might I have? I have ordered filters and a USB adsl modem, and the phone socket is right next to the machine anyway

I like to be prepared in advance to troubleshoot the inevitable difficulties...

Many thanks

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

If you can change your hardware on order, get a modem/router with firewall built in, also I'd recomend getting a 10baseT style modem. saves lots of headaches later

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Not an option I'm afraid Sasq - also too expensive (on a v. tight budget here)... so will have to go software only.

Also note that there will only ever be the one computer hooked up - I'm not allowed any more - even had the third monitor banned from everyday use recently by the girl! (to be fair to her, it was dominating our 1-bed flat a bit...)

Comment

Ok, software will have to do.

I recommend using Zone Alarm, just because it's easy to configure nowadays - and easy to get rid of when you DO upgrade to a hardware firewall (and you will).

Also, I concur with Sasq - get the 10bt modem. A lan card is cheap now (you can get 'em for $5 here in the states) and you'll be glad you didn't get the USB one.

Otherwise, the only thing you need to know or look out for is...

Well, TWO things.

1. If you did any networking tweaks for dialup (MTU, etc. etc.) you'll need to UNDO them.

2. Your modem is one of three kinds.

a. Hands you a real IP address.
        b. Hands you a fake IP address.
        c. Hands you no IP address at all.

In case A, you need a software firewall, of course.

In case B, you don't. If you plug in and the modem gives you 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, you're good as gold - the modem is a firewall and router. HUZZAH!

In case C, you'll need PPPoE software. I recommend RASPPPoE, it's the best and most powerful. The homepage is at:

Although if your ISP has no other issues you can probably just use the XP built-in... are you using XP?

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

hope you didn't get an alcatel speedtouch aka the frog, usb modem.
          this is especially so if you have a via chipset m/board.
          the fujitsu FDX310 is a far better usb modem solution.

Comment

Nope - not the alcatel one. That was the option offered if I got h/w through the ISP (which I avoided).

I am using win 2k, and the chipset is SiS 745 (yup - another on the MSI 745 Ultra board here...).

I actually have a LAN card sitting around somewhere, and about 10m of crossover cable - so I will look at switching the order now.

Comment

OK - just checked. I am sticking with the USB modem as changing to an ethernet card will more than double the price (I have other stuff in the same order from that supplier so don't want to switch suppliers). I guess I will see exactly what I've got when it all arrives - I guess running for a day or so with no firewall etc will be OK to give me a chance to get it all up and running... can always reinstall if everything mucks up... because I am gonna make damned sure as always everything vital is backed up before any changes are made.

Comment

/me hijacks thread for a minute...

My sister's on ADSL. They gave her an Intel USB modem, but we got her a Netgear DG814. She uses the Netgear most of the time because it has a built-in firewall, but I think the terms-of-service actually forbid her from using anything other than the Intel.

The problem is, sometimes the Netgear won't connect, but the Intel will. You can swap them around all you like, and still the Netgear doesn't connect and the Intel does. It wouldn't surprise me if this was done deliberately by her ISP, but does anyone know how they could tell? I've changed the MAC address of the Netgear to match the Intel, and this has still happened since (though only once).

Last time I saw her I found a worm on her computer which I'm pretty certain could only have got in while she was using the Intel, so I'd really like to solve this.
                Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

GNEP:

Not an ethernet CARD. A modem with an ethernet plug on the back. Ought to be EXACTLY the same price.

Ribbit:

They might be able to tell, but more than likely it's running PPPoE or something and the Netgear isn't set 100% right.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Gurm - thanks for all the help. I meant "ethernet adsl modem" when I said "ethernet card". Sorry for the confusion. Just been a long week (and it's only tuesday...).

Still, having said that, it looks like my order has now been dispatched, so I will see how it goes... can always send it back if everything goes titsup.

It looks like plain vanilla Zone Alarm is a free download from http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...lm_details.jsp - correct?

Comment

Ayup. I recommend "acquiring" the pro version though. I don't know if the free version lets you turn off outbound port monitoring, the worst invention since the high colonic.

- Gurm

Comment

Well, when I'm up and running, I am sure that my ability to "acquire" such things will go up, ooh, about 10-fold!

Comment

LOL.

Yeah well.

I used to recommend Black Ice. It has the least impact on your surfing habits, while keeping you as safe as Zone Alarm.

Sadly, in the past year it has changed hands a number of times. Their technical support simply ISN'T, and their official FAQ's have an item like this:

"Q. Sometimes my network just stops working when I have Black Ice installed. What can I do?

A. Uninstall Black Ice and reinstall it. We don't know why this happens, but uninstall/reinstall fixes it."

"Q. How do I uninstall Black Ice?

A. Download the special Black Ice Uninstaller from our site. The uninstaller included with the software does not work."

JESUS H. CHRIST!

At least Zone Alarm will uninstall.

- Gurm

Comment

Outpost Firewall from Agnitum is also ok. small, lightweight and free...

Comment

You can get a Dlink ADSL router for £78.71 from Insight
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X