Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like I'll be videotaping myself digging a hole tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like I'll be videotaping myself digging a hole tomorrow!

Eating dinner tonight, door bell rings, water dept. at the door. My water main broke just on MY SIDE of the street valve! Since it's my side I have to pay to have it fixed.

A few phone calls later and I find no one available for a week and estimates in the $600-$900 dollar range!

After a call to "one call" for an emergency tape out, I'm going to be digging a rather large, deep hole tomorrow to fix my water feed.

I figure I'll video tape the procedure for posterity. Maybe I'll make a "how-to" video. Or maybe I'll be making a "don't try this" video!

-Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

If Your luck is like mine it will be a "Disaster Movie"

Good Luck!!!!

Peter.

Comment

Break a leg
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Been there done that, twice, Hulk. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about burying the line any deper than two feet around here...no frost problems. The last time I did it, I ran into a root about 1 inch in diameter, whacked it a few times with my polaski (hoe-like digging implement) . When it didn't break I got down on my knees to have a close look at it. IT WAS THE BLOODY NATURAL GAS LINE TO THE HOUSE. I put some tape around it where the dints in the plastic were and didn't touch it again. Gawd what a dork. I could have blown up the house.

It sure looked like root, honest it did.
        Laurie
        ======

Comment

Holy Moly my back is killing me!

Here's how it went:

8:30 Utility Co. arrives and does my emergency mark out. Digging begins.

10:00 I've dug about 30" and it starts to rain! Oh no, I can't believe this.

1:00 Rain stop and I begin to bucket out the hole. There's so much mud I have to put plywood on one side of the hole, dig and then move it to the other side.

3:00 I get the hole dug to 55" on the side where the curb stop is, 48" where I'm standing. The pressure fitting popped out of the valve! Guess what? There is no sleeve in the compression fitting! I can believe this thing held up for 15 years. I run out to get some 1" plastic tubing and an inline 1" collars (old length is too short too). Cut the pipe back, cut a new piece that is long enough, and make all the connections. I put a slight bend (upward) in the new connecting piece so there is some room for contraction. Backfill hole, finished by 5:30.

Wow, nothing like an honest days labor.

Before and after pics:

Last edited by Hulk; 4 February 2003, 17:07.
          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

You are truly the HULK, hehe.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yep that sure is one nice hole.

But it does not look like any fun!

knock on wood!

Comment

I wish I was the Hulk! I could use a little gamma enhanced back healing right about now. Actually, I'm not a hulk at all, I'm 5'8", 155lbs, more like Bruce Banner, uh, not smart like Banner either!

I always had a thing for Hulk comics growing up. I have most of the old series, haven't taken a look at them in years. I was sad when the "Incredible" run ended a few years back.

Funny anecdote.

One of my neighbors is an 81 year old WWII vet, really nice guy, we talk often. I have a serious admiration and respect for ALL WWII vets, I'm actually going to interview this guy one day (soon). He came to Normandy on D+1 on the Susan B Anthony, which was hit by a magnetic mine, as he tells me often!

Anyway, as he walks by me to get his mail he says, "you have yourself a standing foxhole there!"
                - Mark

Comment

That almost looks like a PIT

Comment

nice job.

sore the day after?

I know I would be.

CEM
                    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Ha!

Thanks for the story!

I enjoyed it.

:-)

Jerry Jones
                      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

It was TOUGH getting out of bed today! With the aid of a little Motrin I feel better now. Of course, my back is sore, I don't think I hurt it badly, but it is tight. I have a new respect for guys that dig ditches all day.
                        - Mark

Comment

You're lucky. Around here, the water mains are 12 FEET deep!

Kevin

Comment

I don't feel lucky! My neighbors, whose pipe didn't break are lucky.
                            - Mark

Comment

OFF TOPIC:

I spent a summer between College and Grad School as a landscaper (read: shovel jockey).

I was sore from day one to day 90. For three months straight I woke up every morning feeling like the day after.

Thought I would adjust, but I didn't. Go figure. I was actually in decent shape in those days, too. Now, on the other hand, after 7 years of Grad School, a wife, two kids and a mortgage, I look more like Buddha than Gahndi.

CEM
                              System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Working...
                              X