NetDetect - ndetect.exe - What s it? Nav2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetDetect - ndetect.exe - What s it? Nav2003

This thing is on my machine after installing Nav2003. There are two schedules for it. One is to run at startup. The other is to run evey five minutes. I had some unusual slowdowns after installing Nav2003 that could not be explained by the Autoprotect. Is this the liveupdate funtion? If so, why every five minutes?

Also any ideas what ccApp and ccRegVfy are? Also from Nav2003?

I'm attempting to optimize my aging 98se machine.

I don't have the 2003 version. I did find this , which you may find very helpful

Comment

Running NIS2003 here, with NAV2003 included- and no (2-3%?) appreciable system slowdown present.

Captured screenshots of proprties of the files in question attached - so yes it may be NAV2003 components.
      Attached Files
      Lawrence

Comment

have you tries setting liveupdate to not automatically update?
        does mean you have to manually update but then you're in charge not live update!

Comment

Certainly live update I've got it running automatically on one machine and turned off on the other.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
            I don't have the 2003 version. I did find this , which you may find very helpful
            Not helpful in this case, but *High adds to favorites.

Current MSConfig:

I know with the older NAVs that they complain when the scheduled task does not run due to the machine being off or otherwise not able to get to the internet. Now that I slept on it I think it checks to see if there is a net connection in case "LiveUpdate" did not run at the scheduled time. I just increased the time to every hour. Still do not know what the other two are. I knew they were for NAV2003 just not for what parts. I did not want to turn anything off that I actually wanted left on.

Edit:
            ccApp - Common Client CC App
            ccRegVfy - Common CLient Registry Integrity Verifier

Now what exactly that means and what requires it is anyones guess.
            Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 2 February 2003, 10:51.

Comment

NAV 2003 is an evil bulky yucky thing.

Netdetect is NOT the culprit, though.

It runs every 5 minutes, IF it fails the first time, otherwise it runs once a day or when you boot.

It checks whether your virus defs are up-to-date.

If you are willing to do that manually you can get rid of it, but it's not a huge hog.

NAV2003 itself is the huge hog. How to fix it? Downgrade to 2002, or switch to a faster virus scanner in general. Eventually Symantec will get the picture. Just not today.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I'll search computer shows when I go to maybe find a 2002 version. I'll probably give this to my mother as she has Mcaffee and even this will be an improvement for her.

Comment

AVG rules you all!!!
                  P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                  Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                  And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Actually, here's my take on the current crop of Virus Scanners:

NAV:
                    2k1: A nice little virus scanner.
                    2k2: A bit bulky.
                    2k3: FESTERING RESOURCE HOG.

That said, these are bar none the best scanners on the market. They catch every virus, script, trojan, and nasty out there. The updates come at least weekly (not fast enough for some). But the way they make your system run (in the 2k2 and 2k3 incarnations at least, with 2k2 being marginally tolerable and 2k3 being a HUGE ****ING HOG) are hardly worth it.

Norton Corporate:

Better than standard NAV. Totally different engine, no bloat. A bit slow on scanning, but the system load is lower than NAV. Not as low as McAfee or AVG though. Daily virus definition updates, but you have to get them manually. Weekly engine updates, but again - no automatic liveupdate.

McAfee:
                    6.x: Will cause your Windows XP box to hard-lock.
                    7.00: Will often corrupt itself, and maybe your system files too!
                    7.01: Supposedly fixes corruption issues.

These scanners are pretty good. Decently often updates (every other day most weeks), and tied with Panda for speed in second place behind AVG. They catch damn near everything, too. But lingering bugs (some of them show-stopping) have me VERY leery of this package. As you can see, 6.x and 7.00 are no-gos. 7.01 is NOT officially available, you have to beg McAfee technical support for it. Bleh. Additionally, in 7.00 McAfee would lock Outlook open, making it difficult or impossible to shut down your computer. Bleh. Memory leak!

AVG (Grisoft):

Well. Here's a good virus scanner with a couple little issues. First the good... FAST. Really fast. You barely notice it's there. Even when doing a full system scan, your machine is still perfectly usable. It also catches nearly everything. I haven't found a virus yet that it won't. Updates are frequent (often daily) - both to the engine and the virus defs.

There are caveats, however.

1. It can't clean viruses. At all. If it finds one in your files, you MUST delete or quarantine the file... then fire up some OTHER scanner in order to clean it. AVG has a clean option, but I haven't ever seen it actually clean a file.

2. Interface is a bit bleh. This is a minor annoyance, to be true. Not as bad as the "can't clean" problem.

3. No virus information. There's always a link to click... which takes you to a little box saying there's no information on that virus. Other scanners seem to be capable of linking to their online databases... why not AVG?

All that said, AVG is the scanner I'm using now. I keep NAV Corporate or F-Prot on standby to clean files that AVG can't. *shrug*

Panda:
                    6.x : This program was compiled by retarded chimps using Windows 3.11 and the old Borland Packager interface. It was supposedly a good virus scanner, but I couldn't get over the "0ld 5K00L!" windows and interface. This is, after all, 2003!
                    7.0 Beta: Better. They upgraded to the Win95 dev. system and the old-style Installshield installer. Too bad that's ALSO 8 years out of date. Also seem to have sacrificed quality for an improved interface. WHY DEAR GOD WHY?
                    7.02 Final: MUCH better. I give this program an A++ for interface. It looks modern, sleek and wonderful. Drawbacks? Subscription-based virus definition downloads (the first is free, after that it's $70 a year, the first year comes with the scanner), and many testing labs have found their new scanner a bit lacking compared to their previous efforts... or Norton or McAfee.

AVP (Kaspersky):

This used to be the be-all and end-all of virus scanning products. Now it's ... well, it's NOT SCOTTISH. (Obscure Saturday Night Live + Mike Meyers reference!) The menus suck. The interface sucks. Nobody knows how to use it. It catches most viruses, but in such a horrible manner as to make it unusable.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Isn't ndetect.exe part of ICQ? I'm pretty sure of it.

Comment

Not when the file is an a Symantec directory. I saw that too in one of the above links. I do not use or even install as part of something else any instant messenger or chat programs. I prefer the asynchronous modes of communication.

Comment

Working...
                        X