No defrag needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No defrag needed!

You really wonder when defrag states that no defrag is necesary and it looks like this
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I've NEVER seen the XP defragmenter recommend defragging!

I liked the appearance of the Win9x defrag better. Hypnotic to watch.

Kevin

Comment

I have never ever seen any version of defrag recomend a defrag
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

in win2k it has.
        but only when there is enough free space.
        there has to be at least 12%.
        also, it likes a large chunk of free space as swap space. your drive is very fragmented.
        defrag once or twice. should clean up the job.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I personally can't stand the XP defrag, or its big brother Disk Keeper.

Why?

Two reasons.

1. Made by Scientologists. This in and of itself is compelling reason. Scientologists are strange, frightening, and quite possibly dangerous. Germany and France jail them out of principle, and I avoid them if at all possible.

2. Utterly incomprehensible. What do those bars and lines and colors MEAN? The old style block display, while quaint and perhaps antiquated, conveyed a world of meaning. Look - blocks of data, representing chunks of hard drive. That chunk there is solid blue - nice contiguous data. THAT chunk is red... badly fragmented. THAT chunk is orange - swap file. But on the display Technoid showed us, you see lines. They mean nothing, convey nothing, and even when the drive is 100% defragmented they're still all jumbled up and make no sense.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Plus, unless they've fixed it, it can corrupt XP SP1 NTFS partitions. Had it fry mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              1. Made by Scientologists. This in and of itself is compelling reason. Scientologists are strange, frightening, and quite possibly dangerous. Germany and France jail them out of principle, and I avoid them if at all possible.
              - Gurm
              While I agree about scientologists, it is not true that they are jailed out of principle in germany. No one here in germany gets jailed out of principle, cant imagine where you heard that.

I too, liked the win 98/ME defrag program much better, for win XP I use PerfektDisk2000 from Raxco

Comment

Everyone gets jailed out of principle in France.
                Especially if you are not obviously french.......

Scientologists are considered a sect here. They found a way to take them to court, and won.

edit: at least, last i heard the govt won.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Try O&O defrag. That has a nice block display
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I love O&O. The only thing I wish is that, like Disk Keeper, it would REPLACE the built-in defrag in the MMC. But that's a really minor quibble. Otherwise it's just a godsend.

As for jailing Scientologists in Germany - they get jailed if they try to recruit anyone.

- Gurm
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Mine does

Comment

WOW!! thats what I call fragmented

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          I love O&O. The only thing I wish is that, like Disk Keeper, it would REPLACE the built-in defrag in the MMC....
                          - Gurm
                          Well it does, doesn´t it? I use the freeware version (O&O2000)
                          and it unistalls the built in defragger in XP and saves it as backup in case you choose to uninstall O&O.
                          Or did you mean something else?

rubank

Comment

Much better now

Comment

you call that fragmented???
                              check this ->
                              Attached Files
                              Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                              X