Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click beep!

Hi!

It seems that my one or both of my IBM Deskstars (120GXP 80GB) is making a clicking noice and some kind of beep sometimes. Am I in trouble?

Anyone else that have had problems with this disk?

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

You should definitly download and run DFT (Drive Fitnes Test) from IBM quick
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Take Technoids advice and additionally make backups of your data and go buy yourself replacements ASAP! They are about to fail all together.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Just hit one of mine with a hammer and threw it in the bin. I enjoyed that after years of trouble with the crap.
        Now IBM free.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The drive fitness test doesn't find any errors.....
          AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
          Asus A8N-E
          Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
          Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
          Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
          Lian-Li PC60
          Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

My IBM Deskstar 40 GB had randomly failed. The Fitness Test sometimes found, sometimes didn’t any errors.
            The solution was to warranty return my IBM 40GB drive to IBM (with REM #) and I’ve got a 60GB IBM, in quite short time.
            So far so good, it works now.

Fred H
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

a friend of mines IBM makes a small wiggly whir soundfor about 1sec every 12 or 15mins.
              Its been doing it for months.
              We are still waiting for it to fail.....
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Will the fitness test check non IBM drives?

My only 75GXP drive has always been rock solid (KNOCK ON WOOD), and currently it's being cooled by a dual fan drive heatsink...just in case.

Comment

plug it to a linux box and run ide-smart.
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Finally got back online earlier today because of a similar problem. My 20GB Ultra100 7200RPM drive decided to go click click every several seconds and one time when rebooting the computer just stopped seeing it. Damn it! Now I have to change my sig.

Edit:
                    Why does every piece of hardware that goes bad on me start to burn?
                    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 1 February 2003, 20:28.

Comment

Don't know if this is on the subject, but my Ultrastar 36LZX makes some noise after a period of inactivity (disk spinning but no seeks). The sound is 1 barely noticable click, and then a pitched whine for a very short time, followed by what seems to be 2-3 beeps (I know this is strange, but is sounds like that).

I suspect it is the drive moving its head to cool it off...
                      (does this makes sense ? the drive is a 10K)
                      The disk has always done this, and never gave me problems (touch wood )

Perhaps it is something similar ?

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

VJ this is normal behaviour for some type of IBM SCSI harddisk. I don't know how ibm calls it.
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yes, I thought so too (thanks for confirming). But perhaps the Deskstars do something similar ?

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

woel, I have seen many IBM harddisks, no matter for desktop or laptop, die soon after the clicking sound...

Regards.
                            Primary desktop:
                            Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
                            Secondary desktop:
                            Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

I had two Quantum HDDs die on my computer in Vietnam in the past 2 years (each died right after the warranty was finished ). They were both having clicking sound. One of them had a burnt chip...The other one did not seem to have any physical damage but simply did not work at all. The Seagate replaced them and has been working well.
                              My Quantum HDD on my computer here in Canada has been working well for about 2 years.. No problem. I guess it's so hot in VN.
                              SuRGV
                              MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                              AMD Athlon 64 3200
                              1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                              WD 160 GB HDD
                              2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
                              ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                              Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                              Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
                              Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Working...