New 21": Cornerstone p1650, Mitsubishi 2070SB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 21": Cornerstone p1650, Mitsubishi 2070SB

Currently running an old iiyama VMPro 17 (1998 DiamondTron NF - color is good but geometry and convergence are deteriorating) via BNC to a G550 in an Abit TH7-II PC w/Win2K Pro. Resolution 1152x864x32@86Hz. A secondary PC (G400, Asus P2B) feeds into the DB15 port of the iiyama 17" - running at 1024x768x32@84Hz. I use a monitor calibration/profiling system (Colorvision Spyder sensor + OptiCAL software) to maintain standard display color and brightness.

Looking to get a 21"/22" CRT to become my main monitor to get more display space for digiphoto editing, some wordprocessing, possible light digital video editing, and just general use but no gaming. The iiyama 17" would go to the secondary output of the G550 for display of Photoshop palettes & dialog boxes. Staying with the G550 for now. Since I already have an aperture grille CRT, I'm interested in going w/shadow mask for the 21" (color purity, no damper wires, sharper text, etc.).

Cornerstone's p1650 sounds good:
    - 21" Hitachi Ergo Flat shadow mask, 20" viewable
    - easily handles daily working resolutions of 1280x960, 1600x1200
    - good range of controls for geometry, convergence, focus, moiré, purity
    - good brightness level of 100 cd/m^2, selectable high brightness mode ("DMS")
    - dual DB15 inputs
    - Cornerstone high-end monitors are well-regarded within the graphics community

However, the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB is very tempting, despite being aperture grille:
    - matches p1650 in resolutions, controls, dual brightnesses, and dual inputs
    - Diamond Pro line also highly-regarded
    - amazing Windows driver which duplicates in software all the OSD controls (geometry, etc.)
    - shorter monitor depth and recessed video inputs allow for ~2" more clearance in the back of the monitor
    - only about $50-$100 more than the p1650

Other choices considered: Hitachi CM823f shadow mask seems to be a slightly lesser twin of the p1650, at slightly lower cost. Samsung 1100p+ shadow mask is cheaper, but can't handle high res of 2048x1536. Eizo F980 shadow mask is extremely nice, but $1500 is way out of my price range. Cornerstone p1750 ap grille is a close hardware match to the 2070SB and has BNC inputs, at a lower price too - but the 2070SB dazzle effect is making it hard to see clearly... which also dims the good specs of the Samsung 1200NF ap grille. NEC is just Mitsubishi only slightly less robust; Viewsonic seems to have declined from its' former great reputation; and though there are some highly-praised Sony's, prices are extremely high and there have been recent reports of difficulty achieving standard color on them.

Go to admit I'm not to convinced by Mitsubishi tubes convergance doesn't seem to smart but this seems more due to lack of adjustments than anything.
    My only advice is if you can see before buying and if possible buy the one you're looking at if you like it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

you might wan to check out the NEC MultiSync FP2141SB too.

there's a great site for screen reviews: http://www.cadonline.com/reviews/

as itsname says, it's not games oriented...

they don't have the ones you're interested in though...

I'd probably go for the Samsung too, even if it's not that recent....

Comment

Having used Cornerstone monitors since '89 I can assure you they have the best convergence and backed by a company that truely cares about customer service, bar none! Occasionally you can find Jim Witkowsky, Cornerstones Engineering Manager posting info under the nick GoSharks in this forum.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Unless you're in Europe and then it's get your money bags out which is a pity considering whats been said about Cornerstones here.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ve been going through old threads retrieved from searching on “Mitsubishi”, “Cornerstone”, “Eizo”, “2048x1536”, “photo edit”, etc. – there’s a lot of solid information already in the forums. The knowledge base and experience here is quite deep and varied.

PIT : Thanks for the note to check Diamondtron convergence. I’ve noticed your good input on previous monitor-related threads. There’s a number of computer retailers in my area, but often the models on display are in motley disarray, so I’ll have to guesstimate as best as I can.

Kurt : Thanks for the tip on checking the NEC equivalent of the 2070SB – from looking at the user manuals, they seem to be the exact same monitor, even stating the same model # (C22BW711) in their FCC Declarations of Conformity. However, I don’t like the distraction of the lit-up NEC logo (monitor bezel should be unobtrusive for fine color work). The cadonline.com articles should be informative, thank you. I’ve long had a good impression of Samsungs and their pricing is very competitive, but the 1100p+’s inability to handle 2048x1536 rules it out.

Greebe : Thanks, when I discovered that Cornerstone is based in Fremont, I understood the GoSharks connection. The p1650 is top of my list right now – sorry to have missed the $50 off promotion but I won’t be able to buy until May of this year.

If I were running an imaging-related business, ~$1700 CRT’s using built-in hardware calibration would be top of the list – Sony Artisan , laCie electronBlue IV 22” , Mitsubishi SpectraView version of the 2070SB (what will Barco do w/their $5000 Calibrator V ’s ?). But even at my ~$700 target range, there're a lot of very good choices - just need to zero in on the goodest one for me at this time...

Comment

There will probably be new models in May, so you'll probably have to come back

I suppose Samsung will refresh their line-up as it's getting pretty old...You should probably check http://www.iiyama.com for their big screens. They are usually not very expensive and offer good quality.

Next time you have 1500$ to spend on a CRT go Eizo, they aren't enough superlatives for them.

Comment

If you want a sweet monitor, look up the specs on mine...
                Hitachi CM823F

Comment

Don't rule out the NEC just because of the lit-up logo. It's nothing a small strip of electrical tape can't solve. I've had a MultiSync FE950+ (19") for just over a year, and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't the one I wanted originally, as my local store was sold out of all the models I was originally considering, but I'm not disappointed. It has the least noticeable damper wires of any trinitron monitor I've seen, and the clarity and colour is top notch.

I don't do any serious graphical work with it, so YMMV.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                    Don't rule out the NEC just because of the lit-up logo. It's nothing a small strip of electrical tape can't solve. I've had a MultiSync FE950+ (19") for just over a year, and I'm very happy with it. It wasn't the one I wanted originally, as my local store was sold out of all the models I was originally considering, but I'm not disappointed. It has the least noticeable damper wires of any trinitron monitor I've seen, and the clarity and colour is top notch.

I don't do any serious graphical work with it, so YMMV.
                    Nice thing about the FE950 it has top and bottom convergance control very useful.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Kurt: Thanks for the info on the upcoming product cycle – this summer is a good time frame for me to buy. I’ve heard great things about Samsungs (900NF, 1200NF) in the past, so I’d like to see what they’ll release to compete with the latest generation of CRT’s. The old iiyama VM Pro 17 is still serving me well, which is why I want to move it over to be a 2nd display, next to a 21” shadow mask CRT – I’d have the advantage of editing with more accurate shadow mask colors, and still have the option of moving an image over to the aperture grille CRT for a 2nd opinion. But at this time, iiyama shadow mask CRT’s seem to have fallen a bit behind. If I had $1500 for a 21” display, I’d be very tempted to add $200 and get the Sony Artisan that so many prepress color experts are raving about (www.sony.com/artisan). Is there anywhere in the New York City area for me to see these top CRT’s side-by-side: Barco Reference Calibrator V, Eizo F980, Mitsubishi 2070-SB w/SpectraView, and the Sony Artisan???

Kooldino: Thanks, the 823f specs look good and cadonline.com has a favorable review of it. (I think the Cornerstone p1650 is the same monitor at a higher price point - $60 just for the Cornerstone logo?) Do you do any photo or color graphics work on it? If so, is there a good brightness range from RGB 0,0,0 to RGB 255,255,255 (e.g. black point on my iiyama VM Pro 17 is ~0.30 cd/m²; white point, ~90 cd/m² - a good range, but linearity may be off)? And do you use a calibration system such as Colorvision Spyder+OptiCAL or Eye-One?

agallag: Thanks, the NEC’s are definitely great CRT’s – the Mitsubishi versions don’t seem to have the same lit-up logos, and often have higher sync rates. CRT technology is so mature nowadays that there’s a lot of quality choices out there.

The PIT: Thanks for the note on the NEC FE950’s separate top & bottom convergence adjustments – wish my old iiyama had it!
                      Last edited by brocken; 3 February 2003, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by brocken
                        [B]The PIT: Thanks for the note on the NEC FE950’s separate top & bottom convergence adjustments – wish my old iiyama had it!
                        I wish all Monitors had it certainly the bigger ones anyway.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

"And do you use a calibration system such as Colorvision Spyder+OptiCAL or Eye-One"

Have never used them...where could i get them?

I do photochops on it from time to time. works well.
                          My main beef about the monitor is that (especially on the right side) if you have a black BG with white on it (in large amounts), such as a DOS window with a bright grey sroll bar on the black BG, the grey will kind of bleed over into the black, making the black area that "touches" the grey area a "less dark black" if you will.

Also, adjust it if you wish, but if you look closesly, the text gets less sharp as you go to the right side of the tube. nothing terrible, but if you're anal like me, you'll catch onto it eventually.

Comment

The PIT: Unfortunately, none of the 21” CRT’s I’ve been researching have localized convergence adjustments. Of course, convergence should be fine-tuned during manufacture and held stable throughout the working life of the monitor, but…

Kooldino: You can buy the Spyder+OptiCAL bundle direct at www.colorvision.com – about $400. Here’s an informative review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/colo...monitorspyder/

Eye-One packages are available through resellers such as www.chromix.com – I think the monitor calibration package is around $1200; more details at www.i1color.com.

Your screen right troubles with the 823f are making me think more critically about Hitachi/Cornerstone shadow mask CRT’s. What could be causing the high-contrast ghosting and softened text – design limitations of that model or a malfunction particular to your unit? Have you contacted Hitachi support about this? You might also be interested in running the monitor test suite at http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/index.shtml (needs IE5).

Comment

Brocken

For your application and since you are used to an AG, I would recommend you stick with an Aperture grill, like the 2070SB or the p1750. Note the NEC FP2141SB is identical to the 2070SB and is slightly cheaper.

Hard to tell what the NEC/Mitsubishi convergence specs are since they do not publish these, however on average I spec my monitors to be 20% sharper on the convergence specification.

Look for updates to the p1750 in the next 4-6 weeks
                              Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

Working...
                              X