This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Shuttle Columbia lost on re-entry

Check the news, this was the oldest in our fleet.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Space Shuttle Columbia lost on re-entry

I'm watching the news right now.
    The shuttle broke apart over Texas, on it's way to land in Fla.

Sadness
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

sorry guys, just keeping it together

Damn

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

There was a special newsreport on TV about it a few minutes ago .

Last edited by KeiFront; 1 February 2003, 07:49.
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I remember watching Challenger
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I was watching Challenger's launch on a NASA back channel off of satellite when it happened... tis a very sad day for both the US and Isreal.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Damn!
              Just watching it on CNN

Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Mostly confirmed. Damn bugger shite
                Juu nin to iro

Comment

Debris found near Palestine, Texas just southeast of Dallas
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle. NASA said as late as Friday that the damage to the thermal tiles was believed to be minor and posed no safety concern during the fiery decent through the atmosphere.
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

A trully sad day. Any space program related accident is a serious blow to humanity.

Comment

I think that using 20 year old shuttle was in some way asking for something like that. I mean, just look at the 20 year old car or plane. And we're not saying here about some driving or flying low and slow in the atmosphere...

MIR didn't last even 15 years before it was "dismentled"...(and it didn't had to regularly brake in atmosphere like shuttles)...and was a little crap a couple of years before that...

Comment

I think that using 20 year old shuttle was in some way asking for something like that. I mean, just look at the 20 year old car or plane. And we're not saying here about some driving or flying low and slow in the atmosphere...
                          I don't and here's why... how long has the US been flying aircraft like the B52 (I worked on them) when the last one made was in 1965.

The SR71 yet again the last one made in 1965... I can go on and on and on

The shuttle's are the most meticulously maintained aircraft bar none.

MIR didn't last even 15 years before it was "dismentled"...(and it didn't had to regularly brake in atmosphere like shuttles)...and was a little crap a couple of years before that...
                          Pfff, The Soviet Union went bankrupt during MIR, even stranding one of their own cosmonauts up there because they couldn't afford another launch to recover him. Additionally during this time there was so much maintennence neglicted that once Russia had recovered enough to support the program that they found it beyond a reasonable cost to repair. Not to forget laggin tech that wasn't integrated in later years, unlike what the shuttles have recieved ever since their conception.

Comment

Some of the tiles might have indeed been damaged. It's amazing that, as stressful as re-entry is, that this is the first time we have lost astronauts in that process. God bless the families of those lost.

btw, if they feared the damage, why did they not do a spacewalk to inspect for it?

Comment

If they did find damage would they have been able to do anything about it???? Just wondering.
                              My Sympathies to the familes concerned.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X