Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any difference in LCD tech betw laptops & desktops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any difference in LCD tech betw laptops & desktops?

there seems to be more defects (ie. dead pixels) associated with desktop LCD panels than those found in laptops. at least for me, my *perception* of laptop displays are - they always work when we open up the box and turn on the laptop.

as for desktop lcd monitors, i usually take the extra effort to chk the panels on the spot in the shop before plonking my money. is there any difference in tech here? why is the QC apparently lower in the latter?
    The future's no use today.
    <a href="http://autarkic.org/geek.html">RIG*</a>

Laptop panels are generally smaller and lower resolution than desktops so the odds of having dead or stuck pixels are lower. In addition, laptop brightness is a lot lower than desktop, which masks other defects that you'd otherwise see with a brighter backlight. Finally, most laptops still use TN technology, which has quite high yields and low pixel defects.. even though the viewing angle is worse, its not as important since a laptop will sit directly infront of the user. Fabs have been making glass for laptop lcds longer than desktop, so their process is slightly better. As desktop lcd moves to MVA/PVA architecture pixel defects should decrease dramatically. Also its highly dependant on the brand... all of the good quality desktop LCDs I've seen have very few dead subpixels, or none at all.

Comment

Incorrect, Rylan.

In general, laptop LCD's are HIGHER resolution than their desktop counterparts.

Basically - laptop panels are more carefully checked, simply because replacing them is prohibitively difficult/expensive.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39380 - See GoSharks comments
        FT.

Comment

Good find!
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

There are very few laptop displays with higher resolution because the smaller screen size makes for difficult reasing at 2MP resolutions. Most I see are 1024x768, with a few 1280x1024. The majority of desktop that is actually useful screen size (17"+) is 1280x1024 and up.

Comment

most dells use sxga or higher resolutions for 14 or 15" screens. as a rule laptop lcd's do run at a higher resolution than their desktop counterparts
              Dell Inspiron 8200
              Pentium4m 1.6
              640mb pc2100
              64mb gf440go
              15" uxga ultrasharp
              40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Umm where have you BEEN rylan?

Most laptops with 15" displays offer up to 1600x1200 at this point, some even higher (such as the Matrix notes).

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                X