DDR in SDR motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR in SDR motherboard

I've got myself a Intel 845 (SDR mobo) with 1 stick of 512MB SDRAM.
    A friend of mine is selling off a 256MB stick of DDR for a bargain.

My question is: would the DDR work in my system or do I have to go and buy myself some SDR?
    <font size="-4">User error:
    Replace user and try again.
    System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
    System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
    </font>

You're buying. DDR and SDR are not compatible.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wouldn't anyway I believe.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks guys.
        <font size="-4">User error:
        Replace user and try again.
        System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
        System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
        </font>

Comment

Yeah, they actually put different notches, etc, so that the ram is physically different.

Comment

Exactly. The DIMM slots are different.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Yeah, the memory architecture and pinout is differant too

Comment

SDRAM = 168 pins
                DDR RAM = 184 pins

you could get out the rat tail file and file off the extra pins, but i don't recommend that
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

THere was supposed to be some SDRAM that was 184 pins for some so-called backwards compatability but since there were different numbers of pins so there was no point to it along with the quick price drops of DDR.

Comment

Working...
                  X