Baffled over slow hard drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffled over slow hard drive.

I'm puzzled over this. I've got two computers and one has always been slow when backing up via ghost.

160mb per min compaired to 440mb per min compaired to my other computer.

The hard drives and motherboard have changed. The motherboard is a now a sis648 based. The processor a 2.26 P4 ultra dma is enabled in the bios as is block mode. I thought it was becuase of the other IBM drive I had on the same channel but these died again and is now removed and destined for the bin.
    The present hard drive is a Maxtor 6L060j3 ata 133 7200 model and it still chugs. It's okay under win2k so whats happening here.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

is the hdd using dma or pio transfers in windows?

Comment

DMA but ghost is a Dos programme. Under win2k works like a charm and doesn't seem slow perhaps I ought to hd tach it.

Can't you put Maxtor disks in quiet mode and wasn't there a util to do it.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Try using smartdrv in dos.
        -Slougi

Comment

Re: Baffled over slow hard drive.

Originally posted by The PIT
          I'm puzzled over this. I've got two computers and one has always been slow when backing up via ghost.

160mb per min compaired to 440mb per min compaired to my other computer.

The hard drives and motherboard have changed. The motherboard is a now a sis648 based. The processor a 2.26 P4 ultra dma is enabled in the bios as is block mode. I thought it was becuase of the other IBM drive I had on the same channel but these died again and is now removed and destined for the bin.
          The present hard drive is a Maxtor 6L060j3 ata 133 7200 model and it still chugs. It's okay under win2k so whats happening here.
          could be the ATA cable or a compatibility problem with another IDE device.

160MB/min seems OK though. what's the other comp's HDD?

try this link for Maxtor Acoustic Managment software:

Comment

Re: Re: Baffled over slow hard drive.

Originally posted by Kurt
            could be the ATA cable or a compatibility problem with another IDE device.

160MB/min seems OK though. what's the other comp's HDD?

try this link for Maxtor Acoustic Managment software:
            http://www.replaytivo.us/software.htm
            Cables have also changed no other disk on the channel anymore.
            160mb compaired to 440mb per min on the other computer with only 400 mhz differance. Nope theres something funny.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

yes and no. if the 2 drives/computers are identical then it's not normal.

try unplugging everything that's not necessary (including PCI cards). It could be some incompatibility problem (I had sth weird with some MSI mobos and WD drives -the floppy wouldn't work for some reason!).

Comment

It's wierd as the Motherboard has gone from a via amd based solution to an sis 648 based solution. Orginally in the via days the hard drive was paired with an IBM drive and fed through a promise 133 controller.
                The promise controller has been removed and the ide cables have changed from crappy scan rounded ides back to the normal ide drives.
                The onboard drive controller is being used so the main drive is ide1 and the backup drive on ide2. The Cdrive is scsi so that isn't on any ide channel. The backup drive has also changed at one time as well.
                All through the changes the backup rate has been around 160mb per min.
                The second system is 645dx based. The two main drives are on the primery and the cddrives on the secondary. A linux drive is on the promise 100 and the backup drive is slaved to this. This backs at 440mb per min and over 500mb per min on the ntfs.

I'm wondering whether the cluster size is daft on 648 based machine for some reason it running ntfs.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Move the slow drive onto the new puter and see if it is able to do better there?
                  Lawrence

Comment

check the bios and see if theres an option like "IDE master busmaster" and set it to "on".

Usualy the chipsets from 630 and upwards enables UDMA modes from bios, making SIS boards really really fast under DOS

I have seen speed changes like you describe but the faster was on a sis system and the slower was on a via, (same thing with Intel and AMD)
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      check the bios and see if theres an option like "IDE master busmaster" and set it to "on".

Usualy the chipsets from 630 and upwards enables UDMA modes from bios, making SIS boards really really fast under DOS

I have seen speed changes like you describe but the faster was on a sis system and the slower was on a via, (same thing with Intel and AMD)
                      Ide bus master is on.
                      Effectively the hard drive has moved computers as the motherboard has been replaced and it's still slow. I'm glad I haven't got 18 gigs of data to backup as it would take hours.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                      X