Desktop Hammer delayed until september

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Hammer delayed until september

They say they are so surprised wit the barton, that they dont need the Athlon 64 yet, and that they will wait for windows 64, which actually makes sense. By then they will also have gathered some experience, since the server-hammer will be released as planned.

I couldnt have afforded it till late this year, early next year anyway, but still, it bothers me in a way

Heh, if <I>that</I> bothers you, imagine how you'd feel without AMD. You could buy a brand new PIII-733 soon, for only $650! That's less than $1/MHz, so cheap!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

1$/Mhz isnt that bad remember what you had to bay in the old Pentium I days?

I know youre right, i just would have like to have seem how those Athlon64's perform, and what performance gains desktop PC's would have had with features like integrated memory controllers, hyperthreading and such.

But this way they can optimize the CPU's a bit, work on the manufacturing process, and make them cheaper when they come. As I said, they probably (hopefully) made the right decision.

Comment

I wont be in the market till end of this year or beginning of next for a new computer so doesnt have much an effect on me
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

When is barton due?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
            When is barton due?
            Couple weeks
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Re: Desktop Hammer delayed until september

Originally posted by Topha
              They say they are so surprised wit the barton, that they dont need the Athlon 64 yet, and that they will wait for windows 64, which actually makes sense. By then they will also have gathered some experience, since the server-hammer will be released as planned.

I couldnt have afforded it till late this year, early next year anyway, but still, it bothers me in a way
              They need to setup their fab30 for Hammer production. Being their high tech fab, they'll need it to produce the A64 as well, so they'll probably outsource the barton to UMC (hence the recent agreements). That would give them some time to get the process running smoothly and allow them to stockpile some chips for launch -I expect they will sell them like hotcakes so I suppose they might think the same

Comment

Working...
              X